Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm

There is one on e-bay, right now, for just over $100 with shipping included.

Search h-10
    And I just looked closer.

The seller thinks that it's broken, but it is not.

im not interested in buying off ebay. had too many bad experiences and its too much of a risk

Hey jp, I assume ur toughts are the same for the h10g?

Yes,

As a matter of fact, I've got one of them in the truck, too.

Top of the line detector. Only problem is, dragging a cord to leak check large areas.

Quote Originally Posted by nacoomer View Post
    I know im using it properly and my lead tech has tried it and my boss has tried it and together they have over 45 years experience and it hasnt turned up a single leak.
    What detectors do the Lead Tech and Boss have?
    If its I/R maybe they would let you try it out.
    Personally I wouldn't get an ultrasonic or I/R detector as a primary unit.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Personally I wouldn't get an ultrasonic or I/R detector as a primary unit.
    Shhhhh!

The gurus of IR leak detection technology will hear your blasphemy and will curse you mightily for such language.

Of course, I'd welcome an open and forthright discussion with them regarding IR vs heated sensor technology in light of the leaks that I've documented here recently.

Quote Originally Posted by nacoomer View Post
    I am in the market for a leak detector. I am still kinda new in the field so I am looking for recommendations. One thing tho....I will NOT be purchasing anything from Inficon!!! I bought a Whisper and tried it on over 5 different leaks and it didn't pick up a thing. When I tried it return it to my local United Refrigeration they said it couldn't be returned because it had been used. How was I supposed to know it doesn't work without using it!! I've tried calling Inficon but they say it works fine even tho it obviously doesn't. So now I have to purchase a new leak detector so I am looking for advice. I would like to have one that runs on batteries and will detect 22 and 410A. Thanks in advance for any help.
    The Whisper is garbage, inficon reps would tell that is no designed to pick small refrigerant leaks, if you hear the leak the whisper will pick it.
    I bought the TIFF ZX and I have nothing but good things to say about it, best hand held leak detector I ever had.
    by the way if you change your mind about inficon I put my dtek select for sale, its only 4 years old and work as good as new.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....1#post13164551

I spoke to an Inficon customer service rep who told me that the Whisper should not be used as your primary leak detector. You may want to try calling again and talking to a different rep, explain the situation from beginning to end, you purchased a leak detector as your primary leak detector and it doesn't work for what you needed to. They may help you out. They helped me out after my leak detector was stolen.

After all, you already spent the money, what's the harm in trying another phone call? And for the record my DTek select works very well, I have found countless leaks with it. Only issue with it is the extremely short battery life.

PRIMARY LEAK DETECTOR//?????????

You're supposed to buy one good one and one crappy one?

Dude, that made no sense.

I have an H10 also and I also use a halide.

Inficon customer service is EXTREMELY good at least it was for me I bought my first d-tek select many years ago and it worked great for about 3 years than started acting crazy going off on any and everything.. So I called inficon and it was out of warranty Sooo what did they do??? They sent me a new one and walked me through fixing the old one.. I am currently still using the old one and have used the new one maybe once or twice!

That is the definition of customer service! Inficon gets 100% rating on customer service from me

And as for picking up leaks it works close to flawless! But I still wanna h10pm
    What cant be done correctly shouldn't be done at all

Dtek is next to worthless picking up trace refrigerant with nitro vs H-10 will be all over it.

mine is an old GE version of H-10b. made by same folks with GE label
    kinda of a pain dragging a cord around, but worth it.

I'd take a chance on a used H-10 for $100... just have the seller guarantee it with a few days right to return if you can't get it working. H-10 are pretty durable, so odds are in your favor.

I am like JP Smith. I have been using H-10s since 1972 and i have found any as reliable. And i tried several other brands. Halide torch works good in non windy, shady places. BTW i feel like the corded ones beat batter powered. Not on a case by case basis but day in day out.

The H-10 was my first, and will be the only, leak detector. If something happens to it - I'm buying another one.

BTW, nacoomer, I have a few mouths to feed also - and IMO the best tools help tremendously in that area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast