Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33

    looking for a leak detector

    I am in the market for a leak detector. I am still kinda new in the field so I am looking for recommendations. One thing tho....I will NOT be purchasing anything from Inficon!!! I bought a Whisper and tried it on over 5 different leaks and it didn't pick up a thing. When I tried it return it to my local United Refrigeration they said it couldn't be returned because it had been used. How was I supposed to know it doesn't work without using it!! I've tried calling Inficon but they say it works fine even tho it obviously doesn't. So now I have to purchase a new leak detector so I am looking for advice. I would like to have one that runs on batteries and will detect 22 and 410A. Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33
    well as of right now I think the fieldpiece srl2 detector is at the top of my list. would like to hear opinions tho

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    1,649
    A couple things. Use the search tab in the upper right. There are a bazzilion threads on leak detectors. Personally I really like the inficon dtek select. I've had 3 over 5 years and they all worked well. I recently purchased a tif zx based off of good reviews on other threads but haven't really had a chance to use it. Lastly don't forget about the bacharach h10pm.

    In regaards to the whisper. Don't give up on it yet. Leak detectors are only as good as their operator. Leak detection is an art... it will take lots of practice.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,659
    H-10PM

    Charge, calibrate, find leak, repeat as needed.

    Dtek and all others that I've tried do not compare to the h-10.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33
    thnx but jeep like i said there is no way in hell im buying any inficon products. I know im using it properly and my lead tech has tried it and my boss has tried it and together they have over 45 years experience and it hasnt turned up a single leak. and since their customer service blows me off im done with them forever.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,659
    Quote Originally Posted by nacoomer
    thnx but jeep like i said there is no way in hell im buying any inficon products. I know im using it properly and my lead tech has tried it and my boss has tried it and together they have over 45 years experience and it hasnt turned up a single leak. and since their customer service blows me off im done with them forever.
    Smart man!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33
    well im leaning towards the bacharach informant 2 or the fieldpiece srl2. Ive looked at the h10pm and it seems really clunky and i really wanna go Ir

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,659
    Quote Originally Posted by nacoomer
    well im leaning towards the bacharach informant 2 or the fieldpiece srl2. Ive looked at the h10pm and it seems really clunky and i really wanna go Ir
    You'll be sorry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33
    I do almost only residential and a little commercial. The h10 is also a lil outta my price range. it seems like its well over $400. Im not sure I can swing that kinda cash at the moment and it doesnt seem like anyone has any other recommendations

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,659
    Quote Originally Posted by nacoomer
    I do almost only residential and a little commercial. The h10 is also a lil outta my price range. it seems like its well over $400. Im not sure I can swing that kinda cash at the moment and it doesnt seem like anyone has any other recommendations
    Have you looked at the used market?

    The h-10 is the best detector that you can buy. PERIOD! Bar none!

    So, I guess the better thing to ask is, do you want to find the leaks? Do you want to be the guy who finds the leaks that nobody else can find?

    Or do you want to be just another joker who walks past the tough leaks because his equipment isn't up to snuff?


    The choice is yours.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    33
    well at the moment if its wither finding every leak or putting food in my childs mouth the decision is pretty easy. nevermind, i will just do more research

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Central New Jersey USA
    Posts
    65
    I have used the "Johnson"/Yokagawa for years. This is the best leak detection device I have ever used or seen in 32 years in the business. Do not look any further, look to find where you can get one. This thing will pick up a fart in a windstorm when you learn how to work it. General Electric had a good one similar to the "Yokagawa" a long time ago-but you will not find that one anymore. If you can't find this one at United Refrig.' I've seen them on EBAY. I bought mine at United Refrig. along time ago. Just do not let water sucked up in the sensor tube.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,659
    Quote Originally Posted by nacoomer
    well at the moment if its wither finding every leak or putting food in my childs mouth the decision is pretty easy. nevermind, i will just do more research
    There is one on e-bay, right now, for just over $100 with shipping included.

    Search h-10

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event