Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    you guys are lucky you dont have to deal with a low voltage licence that requires tests and continuing education in 2 states. and the test has like a 40% pass rate.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    No. You can only have one license....unless you have a class A of one type, and a class B of another, and they both have to be linked to the same business.

One license, one business. One license holder can't open up multiple companies.

The contractor's exam is not a test of your knowledge or experience. It is a test of your library skills. I know some guys who never passed it, some guys who failed it multiple times before passing, and some who passed it on the first try.

Whether or not they know what they're doing is subject to debate.
    I meant locations and shops as in branches of the same business, not individual businesses. Every national company's branches in TX holds a different TX AC license number.

The license law is set up so that a contractor license holder can only qualify one permanent office at a time. This is because the license holder is supposed to be directly responsible for supervising the work performed under his\her license.
    http://www.tdlr.state.tx.us/acr/acrrules.htm#r7522

No system is perfect but it does make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Duster View Post
    There are 2 types of licenses. You have the basic contractors license A or B and you have the technician license. The tech one is basically a background check thing.
    I was under the impression he wasnt refering to a contractors license. Just licensing requirements fot techs.

Tx is not a State big on Union shops but their is a building in Dallas that prohibits non union.contractors.

Info mart.

Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    I was under the impression he wasnt refering to a contractors license. Just licensing requirements fot techs.

Tx is not a State big on Union shops but their is a building in Dallas that prohibits non union.contractors.

Info mart.
    Yep I just happened to have worked there this week. I assume sooner or later everyone will have to have a TACL number.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post

Info mart.
    There's no license for Mechanics. There's the Registration, reads "Registered Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Technician" and the Certification, read "Certified Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Technician". Like I said it a a money game in TX.

thanks for starting this thread, I live here in Fresno, Ca and my dream is to work here for 7-10 years save up and move out with family to the Amarillo/Plainview area of Texas. I visited it a couple times and really love the way it is out there. Will graduated a Industrial Technology program next week and graduated from HVAC/R last Oct so just starting out but making long term plans. I am pretty excited about the prospects of being able to work throughout the central san joaquin valley, but wish for a day I would be able to roll around with some outfit in Texas in their extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by ashtree View Post
    thanks for starting this thread, I live here in Fresno, Ca and my dream is to work here for 7-10 years save up and move out with family to the Amarillo/Plainview area of Texas. I visited it a couple times and really love the way it is out there. Will graduated a Industrial Technology program next week and graduated from HVAC/R last Oct so just starting out but making long term plans. I am pretty excited about the prospects of being able to work throughout the central san joaquin valley, but wish for a day I would be able to roll around with some outfit in Texas in their extremes.
    You are looking fowards to working in the Texas heat?
    how do you feel about root canals?

Quote Originally Posted by alikair View Post
    You are looking fowards to working in the Texas heat?
    how do you feel about root canals?
    Texas heat will keep you lean and mean..... 5'11", 185 here, at age 52....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Texas heat will keep you lean and mean..... 5'11", 185 here, at age 52....
    Keep it up John there are already too many non-natives coming in as it is!!!!!!
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

The guy needs to understand the difference between Dallas and Houston.

Dallas has the heat w/o the humidity.

Houston is fresh hell with dew points in the 80s with 98 degree mid day temps.

Home owners frown upon you using their pools with out permision too.

Most of my experience is residential, have been commercial for 2 years..

The humidity in Austin isn't bad most of the time.

Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.
    I drink a glass when I get up, before I leave for work, in the truck, on the roof, on the way home, after I get home and before I go to bed. Most days I don't piss much. Attics suck in Austin, not as bad as more humid climates. It's not as bad once you get soaked in sweat and stay hydrated.

I keep my hat wet to provide additional cooling when I'm on the roof. It wouldn't work well if it were as humid as Houston.

Amarillo is much drier than Houston, more like eastern Colorado, western Kansas, eastern New Mexico or the Oklahoma panhandle. Amarillo gets snowdrifts sometimes and the snow will occasionally stick around for a few days.I grew up there and have relatives who still live there.

Winters get milder the further south you go in. Temperatures in Austin may have dropped below freezing a couple of nights this past winter. I needed gloves twice in the mornings until about 10am. I saw a few snowflakes this last winter, they melted when they hit the ground. I remember ice storms and rain around 32 degress in 2006 -2008 winters.

Day starts at or before 7:30am for most companies. I have been on a roof at 6:30am for a rtu change out at a convenience store. I'm sure more guys have similar tales.
    “I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Ok, now to try and put it in perspective.
    What do you guys think would be worse.
    Working in Portland / 6 months of cold rain / 2 months of burning hot
    or TX heat? not sure how long your summers are, 4 months?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast