Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Whats commercial HVAC like in TX?

I got a friend that is always telling me how great it is in Aston but she does not have to work outdoors like us HVAC folks.

Was wondering what its like for you in the great state of Texas. I imaging the summer must be pretty brutal huh? Some states, the work day starts real early like 5 am and they get off work before the sun kills ya. Is that the way it is for you guys?
    Also, do you need low voltage or other types of licenses?

I have never been to TX or AZ, but I can only imagine both states are really bad in the summer. I am currently working in Portland, and the summer is too short and winter rains way to much for my taste.

Born and raised in Houston.
    Summers are vicious but its job security. The hours depend on the company.

All you need is your universal EPA and State license. We're a right to work state so there aren't many union shops or union regs to deal with.

Its how we like it.

It's pretty hot, and like commtech said, it's job security. Only bad thing is unless your company is smart enough to plan ahead, mild winters are pretty slow.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    It's pretty hot, and like commtech said, it's job security. Only bad thing is unless your company is smart enough to plan ahead, mild winters are pretty slow.
    I hear you. If your level of experience and knowledge are good its not that difficult
    to find a gauranteed 40.

Texas summers will definitely seperate the men from the boys. I worked for a company that hired a transplant from Chicago. Brought him in around March.

He was going to show "us Texas boys a thing or two". We just kept our mouths shut and smiled at him knowing that hell in the form of 130 rooftops with 90% humiditY were only a couple if months away.

He didnt make it through June.

Texas summers are great for taking care of that "winter weight"

"Busy season" typically lasts 5-6 months. As stated earlier, too mild of a winter...like this past one, can make for some pretty slow days and weeks.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Imagine raining sweat from all parts of the body. Imagine working all day in sweat soaked clothes. Its' the humidity that gets you. It can be in the mid 80's and with high humidity, bam the sweat is on. Maybe I'm one of the boys, once could stand it but I dont know anymore sometimes. Been indoors for 15 years
    Saddle Up!

I am originally from Hawaii, so I kinda know what its like to sweat all day long.
    The only difference is it usually in the 80's to 90's and not sure it ever reached 100 there.
    I wonder how it compares to Florida? I was there many moons ago for a year and it get pretty uncomfortable there in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    Born and raised in Houston.
    Summers are vicious but its job security. The hours depend on the company.

All you need is your universal EPA and State license. We're a right to work state so there aren't many union shops or union regs to deal with.

Its how we like it.
    What state License you speak of?

Its a registration through the Texas dept of licensing and regulations.

Its been around a while but now its more or less mandatory. Every customer we have wants copies of the technicians state and EPA license along with the insurance.

[QUOTE=commtech77;13157391]Born and raised in Houston.
    Summers are vicious but its job security. .

Houston is a whole nother story lol .... The humidity is a beating ... I love Texas and the heat and thought i was a rockstar untill we lived down close to Houston and at 7am in the shade the hummidity was so bad you were soaked standing there . I am back in "Cowtown" area now and love it .
    An air conditioning or refrigeration unit never signs a check for me! PEOPLE do that,and you should never allow yourself to forget that WE fix the problems of people,not machines.They are at the heart of our business,one way or another,and polishing the skills required to provide solid customer service will never be a waste of your time

Sounds like it may be to hot for the average tech to endure. Have anyone you worked somewhere were it was worse heat wise?

I'm sure those guys that chase the money overseas in those "sandy" country's have some tales of the heat and humidity.

Its not too hot. You can acclimate to it and if your smart and plan ahead you cam easily survive a Houston summer.

A loooong time ago I asked a roofing supervisor what the trick was. Those guys mop in curbs and bust gravel roofs off in the heat of the day

He said protect your head and wear long sleeve shirts that are a light color. Also keep water and gatorade at ambient temp.

Other than that its a good way to keep thw weight off. I was 6'6" 250 when I got out of High school 25 years ago amd Im 6'6" 245 now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast