Reading up more on the IRS tax credits, several sites are saying that a "Manufacturer's Certification Statement" which is a signed document from the manufacturer showing compliance with the tier 2 efficiency stuff should be available on their websites, and I am not seeing it. The link on the Bryant site pops up a window saying my knowledgeable dealer will explain it. Goodman has a statement, but it only refers to furnaces and the variable speed blower motors, not compressors etc.

The IRS form apparently does not require including the statement, but suggests you keep it on file in case the IRS has any questions.

Anybody actually see these statements?

$300 for cooling, and it puzzles me why nobody seems to be selling me this feature, in fact all the system quoted to be are just short of qualifying. (15 seer, but below 12.5 EER). All the variable speed blowers seem to qualify for a $50 credit, and none of them mentioned that either.

My HVAC dealer gave me the "Certificate of ARI-Certified Performance" that shows the furnace/air handler model, the indoor coil model, the outdoor unit model, ARI reference number, seer, and hspf.

And if I get audited, I'll feel like telling them "and I've got the ducts to prove it" !

Hmmm, thinking about getting audited kind of cheered me up, there "is" something worse than dealing with AC contractors.

ARI NUMBER

If I found my ARI number for our furnace that's presently being installed.

(equipment is all carrier - 24ana736 condenser/CNPV3621 Coil/MVB080-14 furnace...

"874090 CARRIER AIR CONDITIONING Infinity 17 Puron AC 24ANA736A30 CNPV*3621A**+58MVB080-14 34000 15.5 ENERGY STAR (R) Active"

Does this mean I get some kind of tax credit. I did print the certificate?

Also not sure if this works nand in hand but we have (4) 31x55" skyights. I installed electric light blocking shades on them as well. These shades were not cheap but make all the difference in the world blocking out the afternoon sun! I seem to remember something at Home Depot (or on the velux brochure) that said these also qualify for some enerby savings.

Is all this a write off on next years taxes? Not sure how this all works.

The tax credit statement is in all Goodman/Amana 95%+ furnaces and the 15 SEER info should be taken from the ARI ratings.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Its not like I understand this stuff, but I checked your system by the ARI number and it shows up as EnergyStar, but NOT as tier 1, or tier 2 (which is required for the tax credit). The Seer number is a good one, but I couldn't find a EER rating, which is the second part of the tier 2 requirement, and where many systems fall short.

Talk to your installer.

Again I don't know this stuff, but it "appears" the coil used may be an issue, as the rest of the system shows up in systems that do qualify. Could just be a product not rated yet or something, but your installer should know.

$300 credit possible via the cooling system.
    $50 credit for the variable speed blower in the furnace.

Printing out the listing from the table means nothing, your installer should be able to provide a signed statement from the manufacturer that the combination you have meets the tier2 requirements, if it does.

[Edited by danglerb on 06-23-2006 at 04:26 PM]

Bryant Manufacturer's Certification Statement

I had the WORST time finding this, so thought I'd pass along to help y'all!

http://66.98.196.147/bryant-tax/ac_certified_srch.php

There is a dropdown here where you can find and print your model's statement.

For Carrier use this url: http://66.98.196.147/carrier-tax/ac_certified_srch.php

It's a lot easier to find what you're looking for if you have the AHRI number!

Thanks for the info!

do they have one of those url's for trane systems?

I wonder, as manufacturers increasingly sacrifice actual real world cooling performance to meat an arbitrary efficiency standard, will there really be an overall net energy savings?

In the real world, a 16 SEER, 13 EER system with a .8 sensible heat ratio may end up consuming more energy over its lifespan than a 13 or 14 SEER, 12 EER system that has a .7 to .75 sensible heat ratio.
    Humidity is a big part of comfort, and if the system doesn't do a good job of controlling it, many people tend to set their thermostat lower than if they have a system that controls the humidity well.

I'm not knocking high efficiency equipment, I just find some of the extended performance data figures, for some of the recently introduced single stage equipment that qualifies for the tax credits, a little disturbing.

There is more to comfort than what the temperature of the air is...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I wonder, as manufacturers increasingly sacrifice actual real world cooling performance to meat an arbitrary efficiency standard, will there really be an overall net energy savings?

In the real world, a 16 SEER, 13 EER system with a .8 sensible heat ratio may end up consuming more energy over its lifespan than a 13 or 14 SEER, 12 EER system that has a .7 to .75 sensible heat ratio.
    Humidity is a big part of comfort, and if the system doesn't do a good job of controlling it, many people tend to set their thermostat lower than if they have a system that controls the humidity well.

I'm not knocking high efficiency equipment, I just find some of the extended performance data figures, for some of the recently introduced single stage equipment that qualifies for the tax credits, a little disturbing.

There is more to comfort than what the temperature of the air is...

I'm on the same page and totally agree.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by danglerb View Post
    Reading up more on the IRS tax credits, several sites are saying that a "Manufacturer's Certification Statement" which is a signed document from the manufacturer showing compliance with the tier 2 efficiency stuff should be available on their websites, and I am not seeing it. The link on the Bryant site pops up a window saying my knowledgeable dealer will explain it. Goodman has a statement, but it only refers to furnaces and the variable speed blower motors, not compressors etc.

The IRS form apparently does not require including the statement, but suggests you keep it on file in case the IRS has any questions.

Anybody actually see these statements?

$300 for cooling, and it puzzles me why nobody seems to be selling me this feature, in fact all the system quoted to be are just short of qualifying. (15 seer, but below 12.5 EER). All the variable speed blowers seem to qualify for a $50 credit, and none of them mentioned that either.
    I have a tax credit certificate for my DFHP and coil. IMO you should get the certificate placed in your hand before you sign any proposal. Put the responsibility where it belongs, with the seller.

Here is the Energy Star web page with tax credit requirements: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...ts.tx_index#c3

I suggest that you educate yourself and ask the contractors to provide the needed certificate.