BC apprentice to Alberta Apprentice

BC apprentice to Alberta Apprentice

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has gone from a B.C. apprentice to an Alberta apprentice half way through there apprentiship?? Just wondering if I happend to get a job in Alberta would all my B.C. hours and education be credited in Alberta? Any pitfalls to this??

Cheers Parksy

I switched over to alberta from bc as a second year apprentice, and as for hours being transferred it is quite a pain. You have to have an alberta employer sponsor you and recommend to the AIT (Alberta Industry Training) that you have previous experience in the trade adding up to however many hours you have, and then AIT has to approve it when you get your apprenticeship blue book. The blue book is your apprenticeship hour book that you get in alberta to have employers sign off on your hours and such and u send it into the AIT for them to update your apprenticeship. So really it comes down to making sure your employer will approve your bc hours because if not then your S.O.L. on getting them accredited. As for the schooling however I've done all my schooling in alberta so I couldn't tell you if they would approve it but I don't see why they won't because BC approved my alberta schooling when i was switching back and fourth. I would recommend calling AIT and asking them if your bc college training is accredited by them.

The process is really a pain in the ass, I would think that it being a red seal trade you should be able to easily transfer from province to province but doesn't work that way. Ive heard nothing but bad things about the poor ontario apprentices coming out to alberta and having their 2 year college training mean nothing in alberta and they have to start from the beginning.

Thanks for the help. Will phone tomorrow. Cheers

I can think of one pitfall. You'd be living in Alberta