+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning condensers

Post Likes

cleaning condensers

Has anybody got a good trick for blowing out condensers , espeacially on self contained units, where the dust is contained instead of blowing all over the kitchen or where ever you are? I use co2 and a wet towel over the back of the condenser but still it doesnt do an adequate job of containg the dust. A vacuume don't work either.Who out there has a good way. Also thanks to all for the help on the freezer. we are gaining, got er down and holding 8'.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hoofbeat View Post
    Has anybody got a good trick for blowing out condensers , espeacially on self contained units, where the dust is contained instead of blowing all over the kitchen or where ever you are? .

Nope,, gotta blow that dust all over. Only way.

Well, at home I use a small bottle brush. Then blow the heck out of it with my air compresser and tell the wife to cover anything she does'nt want covered in dust

PS, I tried a vacuum cleaner once,, but it took more than 5 mins, so I blew that sucker out!

Post Likes
    The pharmacies I do, I use the brush, then nitro with a vacuum trying to suck the crap out of the air.

I didn't say it worked the best...but that's what I do.

Post Likes
    Use a damp rag behind the condenser, then the dust will mostly cling to it.

Post Likes
    ummmm....

maybe I've lost my mind but I don't encounter these problems at all....
    I fully support the military and the War on Terrorism.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

What I do -

Take a shop vac in and set the hose near the compressor and fan motor. Cover the whole unit, except for the condenser inlet, with a large wet towel or cotton tarp. Turn on the shop vac and blow out the condenser with 150 lb. nitrogen pressure.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    maybe I've lost my mind
    I'm going with that.

Post Likes
    I've had a few like that in some restaurants. I just unplug them, roll them over to a floor drain and wash them out with my Coil-Jet cleaning machine. No muss, no fuss and it's nice and clean.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    we use filter media on our self contained units that we service and change then once a month and also blow the out the condensers with co2.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    we use filter media on our self contained units that we service and change then once a month and also blow the out the condensers with co2.
    ditto on the media....a lifesaver 9 times outta 10

I use cans of coil cleaner/degreaser. Foams real good, pulls grease off, washes clean with water hose.

If you don't know, then don't do. If you don't know and still do, then be prepared to pay someone else a lot to undo what you did and then do it right.

If you do know, then do. But do it right. Otherwise, you may not be doing it long.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 537refergirl View Post
    I'm going with that.
    Oh really...

I'll see you on the dark side. Stay off my channel!!!

Post Likes
    Water and a wet vac, or CO2 and a wet towel. Tell owner not to wait until they are plugged if they do not want mess.

Post Likes
    watch out for smoke detectors that are sensitive to dust

Post Likes
    i keep a roll of 24" x 12' x 1/4" foam filter media on my truck for these applications that i can custom cut .. some dust makes it way thru but it is way easier to remove a matted filter & replace it then it is to have to go thru the other messy process .. + im lazy

Post Likes
    Filter media is nice, but in some cases, impractical. The foaming evap cleaners are nice, but expensive if you have a lot of self contained units. Wet rags, water sprayers and just letting the dust blow. I've tried them all.

The best solution that I have found so far is a sprayer for my co2 or nitrogen bottle that has a venturi for chemical pick-up. Plunk the hose in a bucket of water and hose away. That nearly eliminates dust. Of course, there is the issue of cleaning up the mess that runs out of the bottom, but in most supermarket applications, that's easier than explaining a mushroom cloud of dust in the deli or bakery dept.

As an extra benefit, you can get enough flushing and washing action out of this to clean small single condensing units, up to 7 hp or so, using a chemical cleaner in a pump sprayer plus the water.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 10-08-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling error

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Filter media is nice, but in some cases, impractical. The foaming evap cleaners are nice, but expensive if you have a lot of self contained units. Wet rags, water sprayers and just letting the dust blow. I've tried them all.

The best solution that I have found so far is a sprayer for my co2 or nitrogen bottle that has a venturi for chemical pick-up. Plunk the hose in a bucket of water and hose away. That nearly eliminates dust. Of course, there is the issue of cleaning up the mess that runs out of the bottom, but in most supermarket applications, that's easier than explaining a mushroom cloud of dust in the deli or bakery dept.

As an extra benefit, you can get enough flushing and washing action out of this to clean small single condensing units, up to 7 hp or so, using a chemical cleaner in a pump sprayer plus the water.
    Nice description. I like the idea of nuking the deli dept. (just kidding.. umm maybe not)

Where did you get the venturi device or did you adapt a hose sprayer?

Post Likes

cleaning condensers

I have used a product called blowout it is pretty expensive works good but has apretty bad smell.

mike r

Post Likes
    I found the one that I currently use at harbor freight tools. I have seen them other places.

I tried making one, but didn't get the restriction right to create a venturi and created a mess when the co2 flow went into the bucket rather than into the condenser. WHOOPS!

Post Likes
    Sorry, but I was using my BB earlier, here is a link to what I am talking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3953

Post Likes
    I always use Viper coil cleaner comes in a can and then rise it out useing a water bottle works real good even on greese made for kitchens and food here is a link to what it looks like.

http://rtxs.com/xcart/product.php?pr...cat=112&page=1
    Last edited by canman13; 10-09-2008 at 04:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in