+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questionable Compressor?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Questionable Compressor?

I checked a refrigerator compressor which according to the customer had been diagnosed as bad compressor and I found the following readings:
    Run to Start: 2.2 ohm
    Run to Common: .4 ohm
    Start to Common: 2.1 ohm
    I notice that 2.2 and 2.1 are very close could this be an indicative of a bad compressor? How could you diagnose this compressor based upon these readings?
    Thank you

Post Likes
    Start to run readings are very close to the sums of run to common and start to common, so I would not condemn the compressor based on those readings alone.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Post Likes
    Did you check anything else?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I did not condemn the compressor either not only for the same reason sandshark mentioned, but primarily because the compressor was not receiving any voltage at all I even left the volt-meter connected to the two power lines on the back of the refrigerator while the owner was turning the timer clockwise with the screwdriver on the bottom front of the refrigerator because I was thinking that the refrigerator was probably on the defrost cycle and we heard the "click" sound several times, but the meter always read zero. It does not have any thermistors (temperature sensors) or mother board that could prevent voltage from reaching the compressor. Maybe it's the timer or the temperature control the problem What do you guys think?

Post Likes
    You did not mention the make / model of this refrigerator which would help in the diagnostics. It appears that you have a defective electical component that is preventing the compressor to start. First I would jump out the temp control followed by checking for voltage at the defrost timer, which by the way is not always present on refrigerators, then ohm out the relay.

Post Likes
    I would start by finding where you have voltage and tracing what is keeping it from the compressor. IE, make sure there is voltage entering the Unit then check the first control or switch it goes to, if that component is operating properly move to the next till you find the defective control. I would also jump the defective control out to ensure the compressor is not defective.

Deerfield Beach, FL, which is a northern suburb of Fort Lauderdale.
    Post Likes
    The 'Start' winding looks shorted. There should be more Ohms from C-to-S than from C-to-R. The Start winding should be 90-degrees out of phase with the Main winding in order to obtain turning torque and has to have more Ohms in it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MIPAR View Post
    I checked a refrigerator compressor which according to the customer had been diagnosed as bad compressor and I found the following readings:
    Run to Start: 2.2 ohm
    Run to Common: .4 ohm
    Start to Common: 2.1 ohm
    I notice that 2.2 and 2.1 are very close could this be an indicative of a bad compressor? How could you diagnose this compressor based upon these readings?
    Thank you
    You are suppose to add common to start and common to run and add those numbers up which equals 2.5 ohms
    Your reading for the start to run, which is the full winding, equals 2.2 ohms. The readings don't add up. There is a .3 ohm difference. The two readings should be equal.

Post Likes
    Time for a new meter and a T-stat.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in