Thread: 36'' chilled water pipes??

Post Likes

36'' chilled water pipes??

http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/f...opic.php?t=122

The tower will nevertheless require about 10,000 tonnes of cooling per hour, where one tonne of cooling is 12,000 times the
    amount of heat that will raise or lower the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.
    Water that has condensed on the building from the air outside will be collected and used to water the surrounding
    landscape.
    "It's so humid here in Dubai so the cooling system captures a huge amount of water," said structural engineer William
    Baker.
    Condensed water will be collected and piped to a holding tank in the basement car park, from where it will be pumped into
    the landscaping system.
    About 15 million gallons of water will be supplied each year this way - the equivalent of 20 Olympic-sized swimming pool

Water pipes 36 inches in diameter will carry chilled water high up into the Burj Dubai for use in the building's cooling
    systems.
    Water used for fire protection sprinklers and hydrants, and for tap water, is pumped up and held in tanks. Gravity then
    produces the flow when water is used.
    Power supply
    Architect Eric Tomich said "very large" electrical cables will supply power through the tower, which will have its own
    electrical substations.

I wonder what size pump is needed for that??
    5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions

Post Likes
    36" I would love to see how they support something like that. Surly it cannot go 100+ stories straight up. Must be an impressive pumping system, and a farm of chillers.

>Architect Eric Tomich said "very large" electrical cables will supply power through the tower, which will have its own
    electrical substations.

Piece of cake. HV mains to a substation every 5-10 floors, they do it in cities everywhere. The cables would not be that large. Telco and Data would be lots of fiber backbone I would think. But 36" pipes full of water.....that’s heavy & large!

Post Likes
    I toured a 15,000 HP ammonia plant under downtown Chicago, I think they had 60" CW lines going out of that plant. It was for the CW loop around the city.

Post Likes
    i have seen 60" tower water return running horizontally across plant room floor, feeding into 8 1100 ton centravacs, but never saw anything that size going vertical.
    absbertek, was that the com edison plant near michigan avenue, i think in a blue cross blue shield building?

Post Likes

48'' pipe vertical

At a chiller plant we are replacing three chillers they have 48" pipe going vertical 15 floors it's not uncommon just not that well known . I mentioned this thread to a co worker apparently in cinn, OH the have a company that supplies chilled water to downtown in 60in pipe horiz..

http://www.de-gs.com/projects/distri...trict_cool.asp

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bertoh View Post
    i have seen 60" tower water return running horizontally across plant room floor, feeding into 8 1100 ton centravacs, but never saw anything that size going vertical.
    absbertek, was that the com edison plant near michigan avenue, i think in a blue cross blue shield building?

I think the loop supply is the building at NE corner of Congress(IKE) and the river, right by Wells and Wacker.

Post Likes
    How do they support it vertically and handle the expansion?? I have seen lines horizontal that large but never vertical, especially at those kinds of distances.

Post Likes
    Here's a pic of a (I believe) 6,000 ton Worthington. The condenser and cooler piping is huge, very neat machines. Theres 6 of them in the plant. I used this pic to give perspective, notice the ten ft. ladder and the 3 sections of scaffolding with the platforms. Very noisy in there though with all of the steam screaming through the pipes.

Here's a pic of a tube support sheet. I don't envy the guys retubing these chillers at all.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Got any pics of the compressor section
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacr View Post
    Got any pics of the compressor section
    Thanks
    I think so, but you might be dissapointed since they are all being retrofitted with new turbines.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    Ron

Thanks for the pics! I recognize that drive train.. That's the Co-op city jobsite in Da Bronx. Carrier is in the middle of removing the old worthington compressors with brand new 5,000 ton 17DA compressors and Murray steam turbines. Going to R-134a too, and retubing the heat exchangers with high performance tubing.

Getting back to the thread, I've seen lots of jobsites in my time with 60 inch chilled water piping. Like here, its usually the major district heating and cooling plants. Houston, Indianapolis, Dallas-Ft Worth airport, etc. all have major league chilled water piping. Ya gotta love looking at the valves that shut down those lines!
    Tight is tight, Too tight is broke.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techtalker View Post
    Ron

Thanks for the pics! <snip>

Getting back to the thread, I've seen lots of jobsites in my time with 60 inch chilled water piping. Like here, its usually the major district heating and cooling plants. Houston, Indianapolis, Dallas-Ft Worth airport, etc. all have major league chilled water piping. Ya gotta love looking at the valves that shut down those lines!
    I won't confirm where it is, I just stopped in for a few minutes to see what kind of work was going on at the site. Lots of work going on there, and I'm glad I haven't had to put my muscle to the test there.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    In responce to pump size, i have pictures and need to get them developed of 2 redundant 10,000 hp 4160 induction pumps and motors I seen used to pump water from a large cooling tower of a natural gas fired power plant. I believe the pipes were every bit of 72 inches in diameter. I'll get the pics developed and put on disk, I really just need to get a digi camera. I was impressed with the pumps, i was reading the data plate they still ran 800 rpm.

Can you imagine changer the shaft seal on something like that.

Post Likes
    The high tower like that would likely use multiple lift pumps up it's length (there are large multi-floor mechanical areas about ever 30 floors up). Otherwise, the overall head at the bottom would be untenable (likely >900 psi), and require each floor to have reducing valves to bring it down to usable levels. Other interesting facts about the building's mechanical systems - the outside air for the building is brought in at the top, where it is considerably cooler, and ducted down the length of the building. All the coil condensate is plumbed together and collected in a holding tank at the bottom for irrigation uses

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in