+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Becoming a first year refrigeration apprentice

Post Likes

Becoming a first year refrigeration apprentice

I was wondering how to become a first year apprentice because it seems like everyone is looking for a 4th or 5th year apprentice and it seems impossible to become an apprentice. I could really use help with how they got into the refrigeration trade, and if they've heard of anyone near ottawa looking for a first year apprentice.

Post Likes
    Im having trouble too getting into commercial. It seems like around here you start in residential, stay for a few years then reset yourself to 1st year commercial stuff. Id love to be able to find a commercial job right off the bat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pbw23 View Post
    I was wondering how to become a first year apprentice because it seems like everyone is looking for a 4th or 5th year apprentice and it seems impossible to become an apprentice. I could really use help with how they got into the refrigeration trade, and if they've heard of anyone near ottawa looking for a first year apprentice.
    I saw an ad for a company that was looking for all levels of apprentices. I called them up and asked if they were looking for anyone with no experience. Be persistent.

Post Likes

Try Restaurants

You may try going into restaurant work. It seems like there is always demand for it. When I graduated trade school, I was all set up to start at a large refrigeration company. Then someone saw my resume on line and offered me 7 dollars more an hour then the refrigeration company. I learned the cold and hot and everything else.....all commercial. I did some residential along the way, but mostly commercial all these years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tuba View Post
    You may try going into restaurant work. It seems like there is always demand for it. When I graduated trade school, I was all set up to start at a large refrigeration company. Then someone saw my resume on line and offered me 7 dollars more an hour then the refrigeration company. I learned the cold and hot and everything else.....all commercial. I did some residential along the way, but mostly commercial all these years.
    This
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tuba View Post
    Ugh, the thought of going into local restaurants makes me sick.
    This IS prob the best way, or you can start off in the residential HVAC field, and work you way into the commercial refrigeration field.
    Good luck with those, old greasy units, covered in product, with dead mice behind them that never get replaced. OH and you WILL ALWAYS get emergency calls around dinner time.

Post Likes

Yup!

Yes, it is all true. The restaurant work can be disgusting, but some of the things you have to figure out make you a better tech. Especially when they call you after they tried to fix it themselves, or a 'buddy' did it.

It's a strange trade off. I just left a mostly restaurant job for a really good commercial job, but I have been on more roofs in a week than I have been on all year. I would rather stay on the ground, but for the pay and benefits - I will do mostly roofs for awhile. FYI, I am 8 years into this since I graduated trade school.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in