05-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I was on a service call way back when at a home of a gay male couple. Don't remmber how we got on the subject but their comment to was this. Many gay and lesbians don't care or want gay marriage passed. They only want to live in peace.
So it seems to me that those pushing gay rights are more of the radical types. just my
I repair air conditioners to keep people cool when it's 110+ degrees outside.
I repair heaters so people don't freeze to death.
I shut down furnaces that are unsafe to operate.
Make fun of my profession, but dang it, I save lives.
We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.
05-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Doesn't federal law define marriage as between one man and one woman? I believe this law was signed by President Clinton wasn't it? So when it's left to the states to vote on their own laws, they are not going against federal law when banning same sex marriage.
It's a large part of the American people who can change it, and are attempting to do so.Because the ballot measures are inherrently flawed in many different ways. For starters, just because we are a democracy, does not mean that everything has to be ruled by the 51% majority. As a nation that SAYS is founded on the principal of liberty, it would seem that the process should lend it's weight to the side that is least restrictive of the rights of the people. 51% of the people telling 49% of the people how to live is NOT liberty. The whole purpose of the constitution is to establish that rights trump majority rule. 51% of the population cannot take rights away from the other 49% (or even from 5%). This is the job of the supreme court to make sure that what the 51% pass is not taking rights from anyone, regardless of public opinion. This is the reason they are not elected. They are not supposed to be beholdened to any electorate, only the constitution.
No, as for federal law, they don't have the right to call it marriage.
The exact same argument is levied the opposite direction. Why are YOU so offended by the word when used in their context? Who is weaker, the offender, or the offendee?Why are you making them call their marriage a 'civil union'. Who is the offensive one here?
Where did you get that I think this is the most important issue come November? I don't think it is really that important overall for the election. I do think it is a decision that will not help Obama come November.
If you feel this is the most important issue come november, then you are an example of why this country is going to crash and burn in the next 20 years.
05-21-2012, 10:55 PM
While I don't agree with the federal government having any say in the matter, Clinton did sign DOMA (Defense Of Marriage Act) into law, and it still stands.
Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy
Obama refuses to uphold DOMA, along with other laws of the land. We are in the middle of a political coup and no one is even bothering to fight for the laws of our land.
What is really interesting is that Obama is refusing to support laws that were signed in to law by Democrat and Republican presidents. We are truly becoming an Obamanation.
Government is a disease...
...masquerading as its own cure
Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV