+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ice rink coach breaths in amonia from leak

Post Likes

ice rink coach breaths in amonia from leak

All I can say is wow. I know the stuff is dangerous, but did not know it can lead to life disabling injuries.

My question is, do these ammonia alarms respond to ammonia by detecting it in the air? Had she not walks to the back of the rink she would have never been exposed. Shouldn't there be a PA announcement to tell people to move away from the building?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/l...620/story.html

Post Likes
    Every chemical (medicines, ammonia, cleaners, propane, etc) affects people differently. ammonia is very dangerous in large quantities....ammonia driven plants in our area have to have state emergency plans for large quantity releases....

I had an employee once that was allergic to propane...........one of the guys took a leaking tank off the fork lift and set it outside.....the wind must have blown it thru the door as the employee was talking to me, then her eyes went blank and I had to catch her before she hit the ground. Then I find out...yes propane does this to me....I'll be alright (after the paramedics came).....

She lives in a house heated by propane.......
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Amonia is a good cheap refrigerant. Its unrelated but I remember when a truck filled anhydrous amonia drove off a over pass landing on the road below. Happened in Houston in the 70s.

Post Likes

When I attended first aid, fist thing taught "evaluate your enviement"

If you happen across some one unconscious or lying on the ground, evaluate the enviroment.

I heard of a case of five bodies laying next to a power pole with one live wire on the ground. Seems that as each car stopped, the drive got out to help, only to get electrocuted.

This officers should have been training to not to go into a cloud of vapors to help the unconscious victim on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzObhHet9QM

As a safety measure, do your employers that dispense ammonia require to carry a respirator and suit when servicing ammonia refrigeration systems?.

Post Likes
    I've worked in ammonia plants...the smallest leak is hard to approach.

I couldn't imagine walking into a cloud of ammonia. That's a death sentence.

The smell of ammonia will naturally make you want to head in the opposite direction.

it literally takes away your ability to breath and makes your eyes, arm pits, and balls burn.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by commtech77 View Post
    Ammonia is a good cheap refrigerant. Its unrelated but I remember when a truck filled anhydrous ammonia drove off a over pass landing on the road below. Happened in Houston in the 70s.
    My mom was a radiologist at a hospital nearby (2 miles) when the ammonia truck fell off the side of the 610 to 59 ramp at 11:18am May 11, 1976 and landed on the main lanes of 59. She remembers the loud speakers telling everyone to shut the windows, doors and turn off the A/C, all ventilation and prepare for victims of a chemical incident.

She said the worst part was when the victims came in and they were "off-gassing" the ammonia in the ER and x-ray rooms and how it was almost impossible to breath.

They found out after the indecent that the truck driver had been told just after hooking up the tank of ammonia to his truck that his wife was going into labor with his first child. So as he and the other victims left, his daughter came into this world. That's a heck of thing for her to have to think about every birthday.

Flip to page 12 it has a picture just minutes after it happened from a tall building nearby showing the immense vapor cloud

http://www.oscarmail.net/houstonfree...610_150ppi.pdf

Shows the structural damage to the freeway after the accident.

http://www.chron.com/news/gallery/19...to-1207988.php

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot View Post
    My mom was a radiologist at a hospital nearby (2 miles) when the ammonia truck fell off the side of the 610 to 59 ramp at 11:18am May 11, 1976 and landed on the main lanes of 59. She remembers the loud speakers telling everyone to shut the windows, doors and turn off the A/C, all ventilation and prepare for victims of a chemical incident.

She said the worst part was when the victims came in and they were "off-gassing" the ammonia in the ER and x-ray rooms and how it was almost impossible to breath.

They found out after the indecent that the truck driver had been told just after hooking up the tank of ammonia to his truck that his wife was going into labor with his first child. So as he and the other victims left, his daughter came into this world. That's a heck of thing for her to have to think about every birthday.

Flip to page 12 it has a picture just minutes after it happened from a tall building nearby showing the immense vapor cloud

http://www.oscarmail.net/houstonfree...610_150ppi.pdf

Shows the structural damage to the freeway after the accident.

http://www.chron.com/news/gallery/19...to-1207988.php

Ive been told that accident was the last straw so to spaek for hazardous cargo routes being allowed to go through populated areas.

New strict regulations were enacted soon after that still exist today.

Post Likes
    I remember when that happened.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Post Likes
    Back in 1975 we had an ammonia leak that killed the trees around the freezer where I worked.

I learned at a young age never trust corporate America when they tell you it's a safe enviroment to work in.

They were more concerned with contaminated product, than the employees.

Post Likes
    To give those of you that have never experienced pure uncut ammonia an idea of how powerful it is...

I sat in a classroom where the teacher put one drop on the table up front and that 25'x50' room was cleared within 30sec. You couldn't breath.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    To give those of you that have never experienced pure uncut ammonia an idea of how powerful it is...

I sat in a classroom where the teacher put one drop on the table up front and that 25'x50' room was cleared within 30sec. You couldn't breath.
    Ok, its bad, but have you worked around it or on a system charged with it?

Post Likes
    you develop a tolerance to the small leaks where it's uncomfortable around it, but you can hang in there.

Post Likes
    One of my customers has an ammonia plant. Their onsight facillities are pretty sharp and keep that monstrosity running.

Its all steel and rust.

I used to do a lot of process plant work and their ammonoa plants were stainless.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    you develop a tolerance to the small leaks where it's uncomfortable around it, but you can hang in there.
    so true

Post Likes
    Some of the older ammonia mechanics built up a tolerance for the stuff. When I was gophering for them, I was used as a leak detector as I would come out of the area bawling and snotting, while they wouldn't even smell the stuff. I think they used it as aftershave.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benny42 View Post
    Yes, I have worked in ammonia plants, not on ammonia systems but around it. I have zero desire To be a ammonia tech.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post

For someone like myself who has worked with Ammonia for 30+ years, will you please tell me what "Pure Uncut Ammonia" is?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benny42 View Post

I've worked as an Ammonia Technician for 30+ years, to answer your question, yes it's dangerous and very harmful. But with the Experienced Ammonia Techs paired with good PM's on your Refrigeration System, leaks are few and far between (or at least they should be) and when a leak occurs unless the PPM exceeds 25 parts per 8 hour shift (OSHA PEL) your not in tremendous danger. That's not to say that you won't smell it and feel its effects, but your safe to work in it. The IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health) for Ammonia is 300ppm, easy to say that if you walk into a room that's 300ppm without proper PPE, you WONT be walking out.

Post Likes

Now here is a big amonia leak..aka, the death cloud. I think 40,000gallons leaked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNkdAs1e7Cw

Quote Originally Posted by lortech View Post
    All I can say is wow. I know the stuff is dangerous, but did not know it can lead to life disabling injuries.

My question is, do these ammonia alarms respond to ammonia by detecting it in the air? Had she not walks to the back of the rink she would have never been exposed. Shouldn't there be a PA announcement to tell people to move away from the building?

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/l...620/story.html

Post Likes
    About 2 years ago we had several bad tornados touch down in central NC. One hit my girlfriends' sisters house in Dunn a few miles from my place so we headed straight there. We had to run the last half mile as roads were impassable to cars. A foodlion distribution warehouse was about a halfmile on the other side of her house and took a direct hit. We couldnt see a cloud per se but the smell was so pungent it was tough to breath (especially after all that running, being out of shape) Eye and sinus irritation came soon after. 30 minutes later after the air was better a police car came by telling people to evacuate, but everyone stuck together making sure everyone in the neighborhood was accounted for. I couldnt imagine being in an enclosed area with that mess unprotected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in