Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    How about Herb Alpert. This is the guy that made me take up the trumpet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDlcM...eature=related

I liked the album cover too.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

I have heard some of Gib's musical work and it's quite impressive.

BTW Gib, I play a vintage Gibson Ripper bass guitar, as well as the banjo and acoustic guitar.

As far as choosing favorites per the OP, this would be tough..as I like so many in various genres.

Some Icons of mine would probably be Robert Fripp, David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Adrian Belew, Martin Barre....I could go on and on....and on.

I like this old dated video of Belew...if you ever see him live, you can tell he really loves what he does and has fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQWzEQOyQhM
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

While not strictly an instrumentalist, I still feel like Michael Hedges deserves mention here.

The first time I ever saw the guy was on Don Kirschner; he played a custom instrument which was a double neck acoustic; bass on the top and six-string on the bottom. It was set up as an open tuning and the song he played featured tapping, hammers and pull offs almost the whole way.

It was one of the most amazing performances I've ever seen!

They didn't call him "the guitarist from another planet" for nothing!
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

I wanted to mention Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits as well....so there, I mentioned him.

About the only styles of music I have no appreciation for his Rap, Hip Hop and Death Metal.

Thanks for the plug there cool.

I play a Gibson Les Paul, an Ibanze Roadstar, a Hondo acoustic 12 string, Fender Bass,(squire with new high end pickups...forgot brand), Kanstul Trumptet and Yamaha Keyboards.

One more for the list....Wes Montgomery.
    Last edited by Gib's Son; 05-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    I wanted to mention Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits as well....so there, I mentioned him.
    You don't think Clapton is better than him? What about Neal Young?

I liked Eric Clapton better when he was on drugs and I do like Neil Young's music (with Crazy Horse), but his off key chords and singing get on my nerves after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    About the only styles of music I have no appreciation for his Rap, Hip Hop and Death Metal.

Thanks for the plug there cool.

I play a Gibson Les Paul, an Ibanze Roadstar, a Hondo acoustic 12 string, Fender Bass,(squire with new high end pickups...forgot brand), Kanstul Trumptet and Yamaha Keyboards.

One more for the list....Wes Montgomery.
    Are you willing to show use your skills, maybe you can be the next justin beber??
    If shown it could go viral?????

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    If your going to mention southern rock you cant forget Allman Bros. or Molly Hatchet.

This has always been one of my favorite bands...very progressive. Growing up I only found one friend that appreciated them as much as I did.

Wonder if there are any other fans of these guys out there in HTALK world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzDCfnBhinw
    Gregg Allman released a CD about maybe 1 year ago that I think is some of his best work. Called Low Country Blues. I grab it a lot. Maybe clean and sober works.
    Last edited by Gib's Son; 05-07-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: oops, hit Edit instead of quote.
    Tracers work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    You don't think Clapton is better than him? What about Neal Young?
    While I like Neil Young's work, it is very simplistic...just major and minor pentetonics. Very easy to solo to. People like Satriani use phrygian, myxalodian and other modes which makes their music more complex, and interesting IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Are you willing to show use your skills, maybe you can be the next justin beber??
    If shown it could go viral?????
    Ummm, let me think about it.........nope.

Junior Brown

not your usual axe but he does some weird things with it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jonJu...eature=related

I'm not into country music but I can appreciate anyone with talent and this guy is on another level.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Gregg Allman released a CD about maybe 1 year ago that I think is some of his best work. Called Low Country Blues. I grab it a lot. Maybe clean and sober works.
    Dickie Betts was my favorite.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast