Page 1 of 93 123456781151 ... LastLast

What does being a Christian mean

I've seen lots of posts here over the last few years from people professing to be Christians.

I assume that means they follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I should confess, at this stage that I am a devout atheist and have only my personal moral compass to guide me and therefore stand on the outside, looking in.

I didn't succumb to atheism till my early teens so had a basic grounding in the teachings of Christ.

Things like;
    Love thy neighbour,
    Turn the other cheek,
    Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's,
    judge not lest lest you be judged,
    The whole loaves and fishes thing,
    healing lepers and the sick in general,
    Kicking the money lenders out of the temple come to mind.

How do your beliefs tie in with how you live your lives?

Do you believe and practice all of His teachings or do you cherry pick?
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

IMO, it was all created so the poor don't murder the rich.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    IMO, it was all created so the poor don't murder the rich.
    So you're a fellow traveller?

That's to say, an atheist?
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

Not so, it all came about for some to get rich off the poor

Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    So you're a fellow traveller?

That's to say, an atheist?
    Spiritual, but not religious and against the institution of religion.
    "The road to Hell is paved with progressive policies."

I've always liked the saying " If God didn't exist it would be necessary to create him". Religion gives people, especially poor people hope that there is something "better" waiting for them after earths tough life. It also helps people deal with the death of a loved one. Because he's not really dead "he's in a better place". The golden rule seems to work best for me. But I do hold on to some spititual beliefs, just nothing from any organized religion. They've done more harm than good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Not so, it all came about for some to get rich off the poor
    If I paraphrased that as, "priest found pedalling mysticism to be a better than working for a living", would I be close to what you're saying?

my tag line says a lot.
    The bible says you are a fool if you do not know the lord.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

This thread has taken an immediate turn, but back to the initial post- I'd say that being a Christian means that you follow the teaching of Jesus Christ.

The most poignant example would be that this of course means that no one in the military could be considered a Christian as they are in direct conflict with his teachings.

I don't necessarily ascribe to this thinking at this point, but having been raised a Quaker that's a pretty central point and having read much of the new testament I can't see where there would be much wiggle room on that topic.

Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I've always liked the saying " If God didn't exist it would be necessary to create him". Religion gives people, especially poor people hope that there is something "better" waiting for them after earths tough life. It also helps people deal with the death of a loved one. Because he's not really dead "he's in a better place". The golden rule seems to work best for me. But I do hold on to some spititual beliefs, just nothing from any organized religion. They've done more harm than good IMO.
    An opiate for the masses?

So long as they believe that they will be rewarded in the end they'll put up with a lot of stuff now?

That Hitler and his ilk will burn in hell for eternity and not just slip off into nothingness after death?

Golden rule as in do unto others as you would have them do unto you?

Quote Originally Posted by cehs View Post
    my tag line says a lot.
    The bible says you are a fool if you do not know the lord.
    Good for you cehs. Do you adhere to those beliefs diligently or just give them lip service?

Can you say that you live by the teachings of Christ?

All of them?

An opiate for the masses?

So long as they believe that they will be rewarded in the end they'll put up with a lot of stuff now?

That Hitler and his ilk will burn in hell for eternity and not just slip off into nothingness after death?

Golden rule as in do unto others as you would have them do unto you?
    Yes, to all.

Good for you cehs. Do you adhere to those beliefs diligently or just give them lip service?

Can you say that you live by the teachings of Christ?

All of them?
    As none of us are perfect (ALL have sinned ad gone astray) I try to adhere to HIS commands.
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

Page 1 of 93 123456781151 ... LastLast