Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have just purchased a home in Seattle. We are moving from Long Island, NY. For a variety of reasons I need some extreme A/C in our new home. Specifically, we will want to keep the bedroom (about 13 x 17) at under 58 degrees, and preferably closer to 55 at ALL times (365 days/year). Here in NY I have an A/C "person" who has rigged a unit with special de-icing coils, "flaps" for the exterior vent areas, redone the thermo etc. on an individual unit. In addition, our main living area (about 1400 sq. ft.) has a 16 foot high "wall of windows" facing East (on Lake Washington Blvd, for those who know Seattle) and we would like to keep that area at around 64 degrees or lower throughout the year.
    To complicate matters, I will be housing a book collection on the lower level of the house (the house has three levels...daylight basement entry, main living and top floor with daylight basement about 1600, main about 1600 and top about 1000) where I will also be working and would like that to be able to be as cool as 62 or so much of the time with extreme de-humidification. The top level of about 1000 sq. ft. can be around 70 most of the time (wife's work area and guest suite). Further complication is that we cannot have gas as a source. The final item on the wishlist is that the "system" (could be an assemblage of solutions) be one which is designed to prevent "unhealthy" situations from developing vis a vis ductwork etc.) Given how cold the bedroom would be, it would cause quite a bit of condensation on duct delivery vehicles unless properly insulated etc. In any event, what we have discovered is that, unlike NY, where "extreme" A/C seems to be encountered more frequently due to 100 degrees and high humidity, most of the people in Seattle treat A/C as an "option" and thus I am seeking an A/C genius!!
    We are remodeling the home and both our architect and GC have indicated that they have worked with contractors in the past, but none who might know special "tricks" and "fixes" or "rigs" to get the degree of cooling in the bedroom, and also to approach a very challenging overall projects. I have found this forum (which I find to be truly amazing in the quality of exchanges) and as a "newbie" and for my first post, please try and guide me towards the kinds of help I am seeking. Thank you!! Seth

Your going to want a commercial guy, he should be able to help you out. A company that does computer rooms will know how to handle low ambient conditions.

Good Luck
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The big problem that I see is that you are trying to cool some rooms in this house down below the dew point. Which means that unless the house was designed to prevent it, moisture is going to start collecting somewhere it shouldn't and you are going to have mold problems.

Given the right finances, it is quite possible to design and build a house that will do as you ask. However, I think that trying to do this with a house that was not designed with your extreme A/C in mind is just asking for a LOT of problems.

When you talk to the commercial guy, what you want is called "mid temp refrigeration". Might want to post over on the refrigeration forum here too..

Thank you both for the responses. First off, we have opened up a lot of the walls and will be trying to take the temperature differences into account in order to prevent the moisture build-up due to the major differences in temperature. Second, if you know of anyone in the Seattle area who is "creative" and will bring the kind of thinking (i.e. about future moisture issues, insulation, various systems etc.) we need to this project, please let me know. Someone had previously suggested "commercial" to us and not being from Seattle or being in Seattle yet (we are attempting to manage this from NY with the help of our architect, GC etc.) we would appreciate any leads. Most of our remodel is fairly straight-forward and this is the only aspect of it that is of major concern, and in which I will be "onsite" for all meetings etc.

Below 58 degrees......... thats not a/c, thats refrigeration.
    Yall hangin bodies round the living room ?

I need to know what you need these conditions for. I may be able to help you.

The bedroom at below 58 is because my personal thermostat is screwed up and when I am awake I am comfortable at 62 (and really warm at 68-70) and when asleep I need it 58 or cooler or can't sleep well. My bedroom, currently, in NY is 55-58 all year round (whether it is 10 below outside or 100 and humid!)

The main part of the house at lower-mid 60's and reasonably dry, is personal comfort and the lower level at lower 60's and very dry is for my office and keeping rare books.

The bedroom is the truly "xtreme" temp and air condition as even during the winter (and I gather the humidity is relativly high in Seattle during the winter months) I would like it to be those temps but relatively dry. (or else I could just open the windows!!)

MAN IT DON'T GET THAT HOT THERE. WHAT ARE YOU STORING PRODUCE?BUY A SWAPCOOLER

Moving ALL to ...

Originally posted by seth309
    The bedroom at below 58 is because my personal thermostat is screwed up and when I am awake I am comfortable at 62 (and really warm at 68-70) and when asleep I need it 58 or cooler or can't sleep well.

My bedroom, currently, in NY is 55-58 all year round (whether it is 10 below outside or 100 and humid!)

The main part of the house at lower-mid 60's and reasonably dry, is personal comfort and the lower level at lower 60's and very dry is for my office and keeping rare books.

Did you ever think of moving to central Canada?

OR
    'Take your NY A/C system with you' so to speak

OR
    Build one SEALED "refrigerated" room at 67'F with
    > R-20 AirTightInsulation
    without any windows.

AND maintain the R.H. at close to 30% and
    provide ceiling fans
    so that the "real feel" temperature is
    reduced about 8' to 12'F

[Edited by dan sw fl on 06-22-2006 at 05:12 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I had thought the purpose of the board was to try and provide helpful advice rather than slam someone. I asked a legitimate question. If you don't have the expertise to provide constructive input then why insult or ridicule someone with a medical problem??

Originally posted by seth309
    I had thought the purpose of the board was to try and provide helpful advice rather than slam someone. I asked a legitimate question. If you don't have the expertise to provide constructive input then why insult or ridicule someone with a medical problem??
    Seth,

Send me an email with what you need and be very descriptive. I can come up with something that will work for ya. I'm in Seattle.

Email is josh "at" mountain - mechanical.com

take the spaces away in between the words and the dash,

I am hot when everyone else is shivering so I understand. Fortunately 68 at night is just fine. Hard to get an air conditioner to go much lower or it freezes up. That's why it was suggested you need refrigeration type equipment rather than air conditioning. It is meant for keeping stuff colder than the upper 60s. But it may not dehumidify the way you want so you could need a low temp dehumidifier too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast