rheem air conditioner stuck on

model number rafd-024jas

The ac condenser stays on no matter what i do. I have to shut it off at the breaker when i don't want it running. I'm thinking its the contactor i have taken it apart and banged on it thinking the relay is stuck but no change. How do i test this part?

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by 1989gta View Post
    i have taken it apart and banged on it.
    Bang harder or call for service.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

wow that's some great advice but we don't have hvac techs here in Mn.

Just wanted to follow for people in searching in the future. The contactor had three tabs two of which were broken and the previous owner bent the remaining tab so the compressor would stay on. Sears did not have a part cross ref that went far enough back. I replaced the single pole contactor with a dual of the same amperage. Its now working great cost me $ bucks for the part
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-05-2012 at 07:52 PM. Reason: price

wow that's some great advice but we don't have hvac techs here in Mn.
    Gee, that's where I went to trade school. So everyone left town like I did?

turn off circuit breaker

Just wanted to follow for people in searching in the future. The contactor had three tabs two of which were broken and the previous owner bent the remaining tab so the compressor would stay on. Sears did not have a part cross ref that went far enough back. I replaced the single pole contactor with a dual of the same amperage. Its now working great cost me $ bucks for the part
    That's how DIY works. You can same a lot of moner since a contractor has to pay for labor, overhead, benefits, insurance, inventory, fuel, equipment, training and will actually stand behind their work.

You bought the part and may or may not have some or any of the rest. Hopefully you installed a safe and compatible part (sounds like to probably did) that wont cause a fire or injure a service tech in the future (many DIY repairs can or have).

Also consider that your free time must not be worth too much. Personally, I prefer to pay someone else to work on my equipment (I'm not a service tech) because they can do it faster, will do it right the first time or keep fixing it at their expense, and I can't buy more time with my family. 2-3 hours messing with my equipment is 2-3 less hours less I spend with my family.

Motoguy its obvious you value your family time if you spend it banging away on some lame forum.

1989....gee thanks as you're the person asking us for advice and then ridicule us for answering. I'll reserve my advice for someone who at least appreciates it!

This thread no longer serves a useful purpose.

Its closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?