Thread: Fan-powered VAV's with a ducted return

Post Likes

Fan-powered VAV's with a ducted return

Looking to put up a small office building. We are looking at fan-powered VAV's (parallel type) and the tenant is requesting a ducted return.

Question... since fan-powered VAV's grab plenum air for reheat.... will this work with a ducted return? Our plenum depth will be in the range of 6-8'. I've seen this work well in plenum returns but never with a ducted return system.

Post Likes
    sorry..i guess a bit more detail would help...

I generally see fan-powered VAV's in a plenum return where the VAV's grab "tempered" plenum air (70F or so) in the heating mode before going through the coil. In lieu of VAV's without fans where the boxes heat 100% of the non-tempered air from the supply duct (55F or so).

the ducted return would grab air direct from the office space via return grilles and be ducted directly back to the RTU.

I'm a bit worried about pressure issues since the fan-powered VAV's are still grabbing plenum air even though the main RTU has a ducted return.

Post Likes
    hvactech0, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes

Acoustical ceilings are not much of an air/ pressure barrier

So they should work BUT why the ducted return in the first place?
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    So they should work BUT why the ducted return in the first place?
    good question.... we have a very large plenum in this building 6-7' and the user is concerned about keeping the air-stream clean. They also have a corp policy about only using ducted returns though we are working verifying this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in