+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone explain the A, B, C Card?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    its not just the national outfits anymore, all the local shops are jumping on the bandwagon, the membership is growing like crazy but at what cost?
    UA figured many guys wont make it pass the vested time and loose the money. the contract expires in 1.5 years, lets see what happens after.
    Good point.

Post Likes
    When I first started at York-El Paso right before the buyout by JCI, we had our own Local which was right about $20/Hr o-t-c. York-El Paso was an unofficial branch under Albuquerque. They had their own Local. They were about $28/Hr. o-t-c, so naturally there was only 3 Jm, 5 Sm and 3 Tm. Since our wage scale was less, we were all Jm. When our Local went under and the wages became the same, guess what? The next hire was a Sm. It's all a numbers game.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    This is just another way the UA sells out the service mechanics.

When the UA negotiates the National Agreements with JCI, HW, Siemens, Carrier, etc., they always find a way to work a "special deal" with the national corporate companies.

Then, the UA agrees to let the same companies do their HVAC DDC and controls with non-union personnel making them basically double-breasted shops, but with the approval of the UA. Not real union like do you think?
    All of those companies specify if you work 100% on Technical Controls Systems, you're to be non-Union. According to the agreements a UA Mechanic can work on Controls, but I've seen the total contrary in R-T-W states! Non-Union mechanics or "Controls Techs" working on agreement covered HVACR work!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    All of those companies specify if you work 100% on Technical Controls Systems, you're to be non-Union. According to the agreements a UA Mechanic can work on Controls, but I've seen the total contrary in R-T-W states! Non-Union mechanics or "Controls Techs" working on agreement covered HVACR work!
    Seen the national companies non-union control techs working on agreement covered HVAC and mechanical work in "non-right to work" states with no recourse from the local union's paid officers. Nobody wants to admit to it, but it is completely acceptable per the UA's approval and the local paid officers don't have enough sack to square it up or counter the UA's BS.

Then again, the supposed union guys in these shops typically look the other way and let it happen as long as they're working. Not all of the guys, but most.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    Seen the national companies non-union control techs working on agreement covered HVAC and mechanical work in "non-right to work" states with no recourse from the local union's paid officers. Nobody wants to admit to it, but it is completely acceptable per the UA's approval and the local paid officers don't have enough sack to square it up or counter the UA's BS.

Then again, the supposed union guys in these shops typically look the other way and let it happen as long as they're working. Not all of the guys, but most.
    Very true. It seems nobody says anything until the International reps get involved. I've seen non-permanent workforce utilized from a temp agency for covered work rather than from the Hall. It's always a numbers game. Shoot, if a signatory wants to save money just ask for 3rd or 4th year BT Apprentices!

Post Likes
    According to the UA we're "Service Techs", usually not even HVACR is put before that. Companies like Honeywell and Siemens call us "Service Fitters", Carrier and Johnson Controls call us "Service Mechanics". I don't think any of these companies call us "Service Techs" since that name has now been used for their BAS guys.
    What do you like to be called? I personally like "HVACR Mechanic".

Post Likes
    They call us Servicemen here.

I don't care what they call us as long as the check clears the bank.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Those classifications go back to an earlier time, but here is how it works here.
    Steamfitter Journeyman is A card and is a journeyman who works in construction. There is also an A serviceman, who is a guy who either went through all of the night schooling, and passed the test to upgrade.
    Mechanical equipment service journeymen, B card is a mechanic who went through the serivce side of the business, gets issued a service van and tooling, and runs service calls on equipment up to a certain tonnage or horsepower.

Steamfitters, in general, are temporary labor, and go from construction site to site installing new work. Thir rate of pay is based upon them working between six and eight months per year, although these days many work all year long. Trucks are not part of their package in most cases.

Service men are employed as year round mechanics in most cases, and are provided truck, tools, uniforms in most cases. Their salary is based upon working year round, AND not having to use their own car or fuel.

Here, we have hybrid guys, which most of my guys are, who are A rate guys, and can do either service or construction. some are natural A cards like myself, and some went to night school and tested up.

As far as those who feel an A book is only for guys who are connected, its untrue. I know no one, and had no family. I tested in at the top of the class, and went to all the night schools in addition to the apprenticeship. I went to eight years of night school after the apprenticeship. no one tells me how to run my business, nor do they tell me who to hire and fire. most of that stuff is untrue, even though many people perpetuate the rumour to drag down the locals.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Those classifications go back to an earlier time, but here is how it works here.
    Steamfitter Journeyman is A card and is a journeyman who works in construction. There is also an A serviceman, who is a guy who either went through all of the night schooling, and passed the test to upgrade.
    Mechanical equipment service journeymen, B card is a mechanic who went through the serivce side of the business, gets issued a service van and tooling, and runs service calls on equipment up to a certain tonnage or horsepower.

Steamfitters, in general, are temporary labor, and go from construction site to site installing new work. Thir rate of pay is based upon them working between six and eight months per year, although these days many work all year long. Trucks are not part of their package in most cases.

Service men are employed as year round mechanics in most cases, and are provided truck, tools, uniforms in most cases. Their salary is based upon working year round, AND not having to use their own car or fuel.

Here, we have hybrid guys, which most of my guys are, who are A rate guys, and can do either service or construction. some are natural A cards like myself, and some went to night school and tested up.

As far as those who feel an A book is only for guys who are connected, its untrue. I know no one, and had no family. I tested in at the top of the class, and went to all the night schools in addition to the apprenticeship. I went to eight years of night school after the apprenticeship. no one tells me how to run my business, nor do they tell me who to hire and fire. most of that stuff is untrue, even though many people perpetuate the rumour to drag down the locals.
    Is a C Card a Metal Trades Journeyman in your Local?

Post Likes
    yes I believe so but have not run across that. we also have stationary guys who are some other card.

Post Likes
    Metal Trades comes thru a different sector, Residential/Light Commercial. Their Apprentices are called Trainees.

Post Likes
    oh yeah, we got resi guys as well. didnt know what they were called, not a whole lot of them there kinds of dudes that I know of. We also have resi oil burner guys for a company or two.

Post Likes
    Is this correct?

NSMA
    "MES Journeyman" equal to Local A Card Service, i.e., Local "Service Fitter Jm".
    "MES Craftsman" (Serviceman) not necessarily a Local B Card, most Locals don't have this.
    "MES Tradesman", most Locals don't have this.

NRLCA
    "MT Journeyman" equal to Local C Card Service, i.e., Local "MT Service Fitter Jm".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in