Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    They call us Servicemen here.

I don't care what they call us as long as the check clears the bank.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Those classifications go back to an earlier time, but here is how it works here.
    Steamfitter Journeyman is A card and is a journeyman who works in construction. There is also an A serviceman, who is a guy who either went through all of the night schooling, and passed the test to upgrade.
    Mechanical equipment service journeymen, B card is a mechanic who went through the serivce side of the business, gets issued a service van and tooling, and runs service calls on equipment up to a certain tonnage or horsepower.

Steamfitters, in general, are temporary labor, and go from construction site to site installing new work. Thir rate of pay is based upon them working between six and eight months per year, although these days many work all year long. Trucks are not part of their package in most cases.

Service men are employed as year round mechanics in most cases, and are provided truck, tools, uniforms in most cases. Their salary is based upon working year round, AND not having to use their own car or fuel.

Here, we have hybrid guys, which most of my guys are, who are A rate guys, and can do either service or construction. some are natural A cards like myself, and some went to night school and tested up.

As far as those who feel an A book is only for guys who are connected, its untrue. I know no one, and had no family. I tested in at the top of the class, and went to all the night schools in addition to the apprenticeship. I went to eight years of night school after the apprenticeship. no one tells me how to run my business, nor do they tell me who to hire and fire. most of that stuff is untrue, even though many people perpetuate the rumour to drag down the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    Those classifications go back to an earlier time, but here is how it works here.
    Steamfitter Journeyman is A card and is a journeyman who works in construction. There is also an A serviceman, who is a guy who either went through all of the night schooling, and passed the test to upgrade.
    Mechanical equipment service journeymen, B card is a mechanic who went through the serivce side of the business, gets issued a service van and tooling, and runs service calls on equipment up to a certain tonnage or horsepower.

Steamfitters, in general, are temporary labor, and go from construction site to site installing new work. Thir rate of pay is based upon them working between six and eight months per year, although these days many work all year long. Trucks are not part of their package in most cases.

Service men are employed as year round mechanics in most cases, and are provided truck, tools, uniforms in most cases. Their salary is based upon working year round, AND not having to use their own car or fuel.

Here, we have hybrid guys, which most of my guys are, who are A rate guys, and can do either service or construction. some are natural A cards like myself, and some went to night school and tested up.

As far as those who feel an A book is only for guys who are connected, its untrue. I know no one, and had no family. I tested in at the top of the class, and went to all the night schools in addition to the apprenticeship. I went to eight years of night school after the apprenticeship. no one tells me how to run my business, nor do they tell me who to hire and fire. most of that stuff is untrue, even though many people perpetuate the rumour to drag down the locals.
    Is a C Card a Metal Trades Journeyman in your Local?

yes I believe so but have not run across that. we also have stationary guys who are some other card.

Metal Trades comes thru a different sector, Residential/Light Commercial. Their Apprentices are called Trainees.

oh yeah, we got resi guys as well. didnt know what they were called, not a whole lot of them there kinds of dudes that I know of. We also have resi oil burner guys for a company or two.

Is this correct?

NSMA
    "MES Journeyman" equal to Local A Card Service, i.e., Local "Service Fitter Jm".
    "MES Craftsman" (Serviceman) not necessarily a Local B Card, most Locals don't have this.
    "MES Tradesman", most Locals don't have this.

NRLCA
    "MT Journeyman" equal to Local C Card Service, i.e., Local "MT Service Fitter Jm".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123