Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Hole in condenser coil

I have a Trane XL1000 3.5 ton condenser with matched Air handler from original home build (1993). In trying to be good to the system I was cleaning the exterior coils, and when I re-assembled the case I ran a sheet metal screw into one of the coils and vented the whole system. No good deed........

1)Is there any hope of repairing the hole as I know exactly where it is? I know it is aluminum tubing, and has the "porcupine" type of heat exchange covering.

2)My local Trane folks of course are pushing the 13/14 SEER units if I go for/need replacement. From reading here it is my assumption that I would want a new evaporator as my existing unit must be what 9, 10 SEER maybe? Incidently, the Trane dealer I spoke to said nothing of a new interior coil.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice. If you have a 10 SEER 3.5 ton Trane heat pump laying around the Toledo area I'd like to chat
    Thanks

I tried to edit title: should of course read "hole in condenser coil".

Originally posted by busboy4
    I tried to edit title: should of course read "hole in condenser coil".
    done.

What you need is one of them braggers that say they can braze two coke cans together.

Ask around for a reputable contractor that can repair aluminium tubes.

There is no need to replace your existing AC unit if you're feeling comfortable.

Either find someone with a delicate touch to weld that bad boy up for you, or you can still order just the condenser coil from Trane. I don't know what that would run you.

BTW, how much did you save now by doing it yourself?
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Thanks Doug

Actually I don't know how much I saved. This is the second time I have cleaned the inside and outside coils and removed and cleaned the recirc fan and blades. On a 13 year old system long out of warranty, I am not really feeling that bad about my mistake. Neither would I have likely sprung for the "service call" as I really don't think anyone would have taken the care I do. I admittedly made a mistake a pro might not have made: might not. I put a screw into a hole where it had been. Anyway, thanks for the help.

BTW, local trane guy said coil was no longer produced. Trane would make one, and ship it. He quoted $XXX. With a new unit xl13 around , hardly worth it I figure. I'll talk locally about getting it repaired and/or try and track down an older 10 SEER replacement.

>>>edit…

(No pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by jrbenny on 06-20-2006 at 10:12 PM]

Originally posted by mjk_na
    Ask around for a reputable contractor that can repair aluminium tubes.

There is no need to replace your existing AC unit if you're feeling comfortable.
    I'll do that. Thanks. Yes unit was working comfortably. If it aint broke......Coils were awfully full of cotton wood.

I remember watching a Trane video probably 10 years ago, where they were demonstrating how to repair that kind of coil. They have a kit and the guy made it look pretty easy to do. At the time, I thought to myself how stupid of a design that coil is, it must leak all the time to bother producing a video about it. BTW I have a 3.5 American Standard with that same coil set up.
    Leadership...the ability to move forward even when you've burned your foot.

busboy4,
    I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how you resolved the issue with the hole in the condenser coil?
    I am working on a trane 3 ton heat pump with hole in the condenser coil caused by the line from the muffler rubbing against the coil.

The condenser coil is aluminum and the hole is easily accessable.

Thanks,
    Nox
    Last edited by Nox; 07-17-2010 at 05:20 PM.

room for a flare union?

Quote Originally Posted by Nox View Post
    busboy4,
    I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how you resolved the issue with the hole in the condenser coil?
    I am working on a trane 3 ton heat pump with hole in the condenser coil caused by the line from the muffler rubbing against the coil.

The condenser coil is aluminum and the hole is easily accessable.

Thanks,
    Nox
    Trane makes a repair kit for them.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I have done that exact repair with two part epoxy. Holding 3 years now. Carrier round condensing unit 5 ton. Also replaced the compressor and switched electrical to 3 phase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast