Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 39 of 39
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    I was always under the impression that UA Local 725 had a good training program and lots of big local contractors as members?? Are you with them or the other one down there?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Omaha NE
    Posts
    109
    A guy in my refrigeration class works for Trane. He wears his work uniform to class. He also drives his work van to school. He said he likes Trane, but wants to get his masters license so he can start his own business. Maybe I can get his old job when he does

  3. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    Miami probably has the weakest union in the country. I know. I'm a member. South Florida is very competitive, with every yahoo off the boat doing a/c out of the trunk of their car. Right to work makes the union even weaker.
    You consider your Local weak? Are you a combination Local or Pipefitters only? Try being in a combo Local that includes Plumbing and somehow between one whole state and a part of another, only having 4 HVACR National sigs and 2 HVACR locally owned sigs! Now that's weak.

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    You consider your Local weak? Are you a combination Local or Pipefitters only? Try being in a combo Local that includes Plumbing and somehow between one whole state and a part of another, only having 4 HVACR National sigs and 2 HVACR locally owned sigs! Now that's weak.
    725 is pipefitters and refrigeration and HVAC technicians. They are weak because of work climate in South Florida, not because they are a combined local. For every contractor signed on, there are 12 that aren't.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    I was always under the impression that UA Local 725 had a good training program and lots of big local contractors as members?? Are you with them or the other one down there?
    725 has one of the best training programs in the country, but that has nothing to do with how strong the union is as far as it's presence in the market and the wages it can command.

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale Fl
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    No tech in Miami makes $10 over scale. There may be a few who make $2 or $3 over, but that has nothing to with doing overhauls, but with seniority and abilities.
    Is 725 still $32 and change in the check...if so I know guys who are making that

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassajara View Post
    Is 725 still $32 and change in the check...if so I know guys who are making that

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Not at Trane. If so, I'd like some names!

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale Fl
    Posts
    282
    I didnt say Trane I just said 725. In fact I know non union guys who are in the $40+ range down here as well. Obviously your joking about names ....but incase your not i will sell you the list ;-)

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    working overtime
    Posts
    848

    local 725

    local 725 economics package isn't that bad for the area.
    r1 journeyman gets 31.60 an hour with a total package at 41.65
    a foreman gets 36.94 an hour total package of 46.54
    on the other end of the spectrum a r4 gets 17.68 an hour total package of 23.29
    this scale is a couple years old now from when i was an apprentice. but shouldn't be to different.
    i was an apprentice for a local shop years back aand just didnt know what i had at the time. trane has a good rep in my area for being a great place to work. i tried many times but its a tough place to get into.and the local 725 also has the 2nd rated school in the country behind the union school in san fransisco.
    i spent years looking for the training i would have got had i stayed as an apprentice so i may be looking to take a pay cut to go back to finish apprenticeship.

  10. #36
    The locally-owned Union shop I work for pays better than Arizona Trane (Tucson, non-Union) for Chiller Mechanics. Maybe stop major and overhaul specialist fare better. I'll find out if they're I-R or a franchise.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalieri85 View Post
    local 725 economics package isn't that bad for the area.
    r1 journeyman gets 31.60 an hour with a total package at 41.65
    a foreman gets 36.94 an hour total package of 46.54
    on the other end of the spectrum a r4 gets 17.68 an hour total package of 23.29
    this scale is a couple years old now from when i was an apprentice. but shouldn't be to different.
    i was an apprentice for a local shop years back aand just didnt know what i had at the time. trane has a good rep in my area for being a great place to work. i tried many times but its a tough place to get into.and the local 725 also has the 2nd rated school in the country behind the union school in san fransisco.
    i spent years looking for the training i would have got had i stayed as an apprentice so i may be looking to take a pay cut to go back to finish apprenticeship.
    Your numbers look about right. But that's the problem. Those are decent wages for the area.

    Because the school is so good, the technicians are worth a hell of a lot more. You have to leave South FL to earn a better wage.

  12. #38
    What's an R4?

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    working overtime
    Posts
    848
    We all know down here that pay in Florida sux buy there is the saying you get paid in sunshine. For me I'm here and can't leave at this point but I definitely want back into the 725 school because it is primo training and that's hard to come by.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event