Thread: Thermocouple

I just bought a sears thermocouple to more accuratley measure suction line tempatures for superheat. I was wondering if i just wrap it around the suction line and clamp it down? it seems as if the bulb is only on the tip.. Im so frustrated... im trying to be the best tech i can and right now i use an infared thermometer but i wanted somethning more accurate... So whats the procedure guys....

[Edited by sandstone on 06-20-2006 at 05:38 AM]

just wrap some tape around the tip and the pipe, the tip is where its at. do this before it gets going condensation on the suction line will make this difficult.

Originally posted by comfort comando
    just wrap some tape around the tip and the pipe, the tip is where its at. do this before it gets going condensation on the suction line will make this difficult.
    And I usually also wrap a little insul tube/pipe insulation around it as well, so it remains a little more accurate.

You will find that many people actually preferr a termocouple clamp over the bare thermocouple, but they are WAY more expensive..

Thanks guys.

In a pinch I have used a wooden clothes pin as a clamp. It works and is cheap.

Bite the bullet and get yourself a thermocouple pipe clamp.....with the tolerances of new equipment.....it will pay itself back real quick

I use electrical tape. If you can, use a thermometer with two probes so you can measure superheat and subcooling at the same time. Much faster than if you have to go back and forth.