Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IR temp guns?

Ok, I don't truly "need" one of these, but it'd sure come in handy!

So, can you folks reccomend one to me? Since it's not a vital need I'm not looking to drop a lot of cash on one (say less than $100). I've seen the Fieldpiece (down boys!) version for a decent price, but never used one.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Testo... you guys rule!

I see people on here talk about these but don't understand when you would need one. What would you use it for? If I'm in the dark ages let me know but I can't think of a use for them.

They are nice to do quick checks of fan/coils units and registers.

Customers love watching me use it.

Well, my #1 use will probably be for checking temps on headers of my race car... ahem,... I mean official work purposes!

It's nice to check diffusers of large stores to see which unit is/isn't on, hot breakers, get a rough idea if something major is wrong (ie way hot motor, compressor etc). All sorts of neat stuff.

Testo... you guys rule!

It's a waste of money. Buy something made in china. IR is most always inaccurate. I use it for quick checks to make sure unit is cooling before a checkup or as a laser pointer to point out dirty airduct diffusers to customers.

I use the RAYTEK IR thermometer, cost about $89, and it is a handy tool for checking temps. I use it for getting a quick read of DELTA-T on units, confirming which of several units is not operating and getting quick reads of a conditioned space to see how the system(s) are functioning.
    I check it often against ice water and it has yet to be more than .5 degrees from 32 deg. F, between 31.5 and 32.5 usually. Haven't checked boiling water but, I don't need lab standards since I'm never in a lab.
    It's not my only temp. measuring device, I have several other probes to attach to my FLUKE meter and an AMPROBE digital sling psychrometer. I just the IR for quickie reading and get the FLUKE out when I need detail.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” —Albert Einstein

I use Raytek. One of my favorite uses is to show the homeowner the temperature difference at a leaky window or attic access to expain why that room is too hot or too cold.

cotzo is offline Professional Member t-bad email Spamblocker

Cool

I bought a raytech when they were fairly new, and if you read the directions they are as accurate as any thermistor that costs the same price. mine was 260$ 6yrs ago. it finaly died and was replaced by a fluke 61 for 99$. It's not as accurate but like you said i'm not running a lab.

Originally posted by trane
    I see people on here talk about these but don't understand when you would need one. What would you use it for? If I'm in the dark ages let me know but I can't think of a use for them.
    Get plenty of use out of the fluke I have- shoot heads on compressors to identify which of the three is going to have my valve problem- compressor body temps/superheat to it-
    have shot registers on high ceilings (can't believe it worked but it did ) and have found it useful to shoot electrical panels to find hotspots on components. What is the oil level on seprator/reservoir? Once you start cruising around a machine room with one of these you will find they can be quite helpful!

Tons of use for these on refrigeration side.
    Handy for taking your kids temp in their ears as well!
    Look, just do your job, stay outta my way and we'll get along fine.

Teach your kids to respect themselves and others with your actions- these little baboons will imitate you like it or not.

torching a receiver to find liquid level got a lot easier on the old hands.

Discharge air temps on cases, a lot easier. Alot easier.

Compressor Discharge Line temp. If I am close, I am too close to 225.

I wish they do get dead balls acurate as technology advances

So which Raytek do you gentlemen prefer?

A supply house has one, but they want around $170 for it, Ebay has a ton for under $50.... This better not be the same model!

Testo... you guys rule!

On a PM, we overide dampers and chilled/hot water valves, shoot the beam at the diffuser, presto. Hit the head of a semi-hermetic compressor to help check for blow-by, or if an unloader is working right.
    There is alot of uses for them where the accuracy doesn't have to be dead nuts.

Oh, BTW I just bought the Fluke at Grainger's for 90 bucks.
    I'ts more accurate than people think if you read the instructions and use it right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast