Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dirt pocket? We don't need no stinkin' dirt pocket

Startup for a new client.. Not immediate hazard, but unacceptable condition, so there will be a long list of service suggestions (well, some of them not really suggestions lol).. Here's some of their wiring work, done for bonus points
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That gas piping is pretty special to....
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Startup for a new client.. Not immediate hazard, but unacceptable condition, so there will be a long list of service suggestions (well, some of them not really suggestions lol).. Here's some of their wiring work, done for bonus points
    Sad but it's not the first time i've seen that.

Unfortunately this is a way too common occurrence in our trades.It has to stop but I'm not sure if the problem is with the training,the employer or the individual's knowing that most times there is nobody checking their work.After 35 years in the HVAC industry as a self employed contractor I have retired and started teaching at a local college and part of what I teach is pride in your work.Maybe someday,one at a time attitudes may change.

Quote Originally Posted by dinos2560 View Post
    Sad but it's not the first time i've seen that.
    I'm still new to the trade (technically still not in it lol), I've been up on fewer than 100 rooftops and in a great majority of cases, the units were maintained by two reputable companies, so any of that junk would have been fixed a long time before I went up the ladder. I would have thought those bums would have been nailed by the TSSA by now.

Quote Originally Posted by burnerator View Post
    Unfortunately this is a way too common occurrence in our trades.It has to stop but I'm not sure if the problem is with the training,the employer or the individual's knowing that most times there is nobody checking their work.After 35 years in the HVAC industry as a self employed contractor I have retired and started teaching at a local college and part of what I teach is pride in your work.Maybe someday,one at a time attitudes may change.
    It's only gonna get worse. We're slowly bringing ourselves down to the Third World levels, so guess what you can expect of the workmanship when the main pressure will be to keep the prices down. With that being said, if I were less ethical, I'd put my competitor's sticker on that piece of work

Had to read this one....never heard a drip leg called a dirt pocket. I'm guessing that is what you're referring to.......but yep, see it way too often.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Cool correct terminology

The correct term is a "sediment trap". A "drip" is located immediately inside the building from the meter and is used to collect condensate from wet gas. Sediment traps are located at the appliance. This has been discussed here many times but I will re-iterate: it doesn't matter whether or not the AHJ requires them or not (Texas is notorious for this BS)--since the code requires them and the code is the law, you must install them where the code specifies and how. Running traps are not allowed--it must make a 90 degree turn from vertical, whether it comes up then horizontal or down and turns. There is BS out there about not installing traps outdoors due to freezing. If this was a problem, the gas codes would have addressed it, believe me.

If you go by the IFGC, you must install a sediment trap immediately before and after any medium pressure regulators.

Is that pex?

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Is that pex?
    Nope, not even those guys would be stupid enough to run that above ground. Looked like corrugated, but until yesterday, I've only seen it with a yellow coating. Whatever it is, we'll need to rip it out and run pipe. Might have already been done - I was temporarily moved to another crew for the remainder of this week.

your right.... we do not put dirt pockets on roofs in Manitoba ....... but man that is a mess.... someone should be ashamed....

If it is black CSST, it is probably Trac Pipe's Counterstrike product that's supposed to be more resistant to the effects of a lightning strike. It should have markings. If it is CSST, it must meet the bonding requirements of the listing.

To clarify my earlier post, regardless whether the gas approaches from above or below, it must have a trap and it must make a turn to horizontal into the appliance.

Maybe its my eyes but where it the gas cock and if not CSST, where is the ground union?

Thats just a short run. When that stuff first came onto the market some people would run it all over the roof. Snow would cover it, you'd trip over it.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast