Teflon on Flare Fittings...

Teflon on Flare Fittings...

This was a mini split I came across while deployed to Iraq
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LOL! I don't understand how this new technology works!
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

It's honestly amazing how many people can't figure out how a flare fitting works.

Or a union.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Oh- that's funny. I guess it's the threads & back of flare that seal.

Looks like it sealed despite the effort.
    Never argue with a crazy man.

and yet the manufacturers of mini-splits feel that making the line set flared at both ends and instructions to not cut the line set will ease installation issues related to improper brazing.

K.I.S.S. just does not work sometimes.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

No, no, that's rice paste. New thing they got there. Inhibits corrosion and deters thieves.......and is good for freon suppliers.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

You just can't fix stupid.

Is it any worse then seal leak on flare nuts? the gray/bluish stuff, couldnt see very well thru the led lights. I encountered 2 leaks today, couldnt tight any further cos the crap dried up. so had to fix them the long way.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!
    I always tar my flares before assembly.

Hmm

Had a gas leak at a fitting on the high pressure regulator on a 500 gallon propane tank,,,customer complained of smelling gas when he walked by the tank. When I got there, dound all of the piping under the led of the tank had been neatly wrapped with yellow teflon tape that the delivery driver "installed" to repair the leak. Had to take the new guy aside and explain about the benefits and shortcomings of his leak repair.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Cool

FYI, according to the Copper Handbook available free at Copper.org, flares should be dry with no tape or goop of any kind. The one allowable exception is a drop of oil to assist in forming the flare but wipe it off when done.

When working for a mfr. doing product liability investigations, it was sad how many failed valves we found were clogged with chunks of pipe dope or PTFE tape. Of course, nothing beat the gravel I found in one but that's another story. Also get water, thread cutting oil, rust, etc.

Most buildings I go into have gas leaks and the #1 cause of leaks is dope on the face of a ground union.