+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEBB Tab Technician

Post Likes

NEBB Tab Technician

My company has recently signed me up for the NEBB TAB Technician test but I need a refreshment course. I learn better when I interact with people so learning out of the book is hard for me to teach myself.

Also, if any is in San Diego area and wants to study I'm definetly interested.

All support helps... Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BDervishian View Post
    My company has recently signed me up for the NEBB TAB Technician test but I need a refreshment course. I learn better when I interact with people so learning out of the book is hard for me to teach myself.

Also, if any is in San Diego area and wants to study I'm definetly interested.

All support helps... Thanks
    The soothing sound of crickets....NEBB's exclusionary practices will make you a lonesome lonely guy.

Good luck on the exam.

Post Likes
    Hi btuhack,
    Why do you feel that NEBB is exclusionary?

"NEBB's exclusionary practices will make you a lonesome lonely guy."

All they want is for a candidate to pass some tests, that are not easy.
    They want their membership to deliver a quality product to their customer's.

I am trying to understand, and yes I am NEBB certified in TAB and Building System Commissioning.

Allen
    UA Local 602
    A man who says that he can't learn anything in a class is exactly right.

Post Likes
    Allen,

Did they provide you with the exact formulas you needed to pass. I'm kind of skittish knowing I have to wait 6 months if I fail. Any tips

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Hi btuhack,
    Why do you feel that NEBB is exclusionary?
    A union guy asking a non/ex union guy that is like a rich kid asking his parents why poor kids elect to go to bed hungry.

The testing process and ability to pass are moot points without union affiliation. Apps get lost and phone calls aren't returned. I chose my path with very few regrets... Enjoy your protection, your paying for it.

The meager offering of associate status came along a few years back, politically brilliant if you ask me...no working credentials for the member to benefit from but something to parade in front of elected officials and tax collectors to rubberstamp as " fair and open practices".

No ill will towards you, enjoy your success.

Post Likes
    Hi btuhack,
    In our chapter we have NEBB certified firms that are not union, and those firms have members that are represented on our different chapter committees, ie technical and educational. One of the members of a non-union firms sits on the board of directors of the national organization, and will be the president of the national organization in a couple of years.

It has nothing to do with union affiliation.

"The testing process and ability to pass are moot points without union affiliation."

We have a union guy and a non-union that teach our TAB technicians seminar together. The subject of union and non-union does not come up during our chapter meetings.

Good luck to you.
    Allen
    UA Local 602

Post Likes
    Hi BDervishian,
    I had learned the different formulas through the years doing my job. Knowing those formulas helped me to do my job as a serviceman.

There is a good book available from the Association of Energy Engineers, "Testing and Balancing HVAC Air and Water Systems." The book has all of the formulas that are needed, but more importantly the processes of balancing the systems. http://www.aeeprograms.com/store/det...&category_id=6

To take a NEBB test or purchase NEBB publications you must work for a NEBB certified firm. I guess that is why btuhack feels that NEBB has exclusionary practices. If you want to get into TAB, you will want to find a NEBB firm in your area to go to work for. You can go to NEBB's website, www.nebb.org, there is a directory there that you can locate firms in your area.

Good Luck,
    Allen
    UA Local 602

Post Likes
    I plan on taking the NEBB exam for water and air balancing and I wanted to know if anyone knows about a practice exam that I can take or if there is study guide out there I can view. thank you

Post Likes
    Just to clarify, I am certified TABB and Union but I bought NEBB's manual from a store that specializes in books like codes etc. No problem.
    On of the best chapters deals with estimating all sorts of systems.
    Written by John Gladstone and W. David Bevirt
    Mcgraw-Hill
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    The NEBB TAB test isn't really that difficult if you have enough reference data to find information like friction losses. When I took it the first segment was closed book. They gave you a paper with all formulas needed for that segment. The test was multiple choice but had six questions that didn't have a correct choice included. Show your calculations and that will not be a problem. The NEBB book is Environmental Systems Technology by Bevirt. It is a good book but the unions also have good books on the subject as well as ASHRAE. NEBB has a yearly seminar at NEBB University that is a course intended to help those that want to take the test. The biggest problem with getting NEBB certified is the years of experience required unless you have an engineering degree.

Post Likes
    Do your company do fluid balancing too or just air?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    The NEBB TAB test isn't really that difficult if you have enough reference data to find information like friction losses. When I took it the first segment was closed book. They gave you a paper with all formulas needed for that segment. The test was multiple choice but had six questions that didn't have a correct choice included. Show your calculations and that will not be a problem. The NEBB book is Environmental Systems Technology by Bevirt. It is a good book but the unions also have good books on the subject as well as ASHRAE. NEBB has a yearly seminar at NEBB University that is a course intended to help those that want to take the test. The biggest problem with getting NEBB certified is the years of experience required unless you have an engineering degree.
    Thank you

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechTech2013 View Post
    Do your company do fluid balancing too or just air?

Both

Post Likes
    A few years back NEBB allowed certification in air only. You can no longer be certified in air only. A lot of sheet metal guys fear water balance & testing. It is nothing to fear if that is your concern. The fundamentals are similar but you do have to remember that water is considered non-compressible and has a lot more weight.

Post Likes
    Really my concern is what to study there is a lot of information to study from I just want to narrow it down

Post Likes
    NEBB does have correspondence courses and practice exams. Check out their web site. One thing they were big on when I took the test was calculating air and water design and actual system curves. On water systems you should also know how to tell if a system has enough water in it and if it has too much air in it. They also had questions on air and water friction losses.

Post Likes
    I couldn't find any on their website, I'm new to this field so I don't know yet how to tell if a system has to much air or water

Post Likes
    Is TAB only repped by SMW union?

Post Likes
    NEBB requires 10 years experience before you can take the test unless you have an engineering degree then you have to have two years. If you are new to the field you have plenty of time but if you are sheet metal union you can go the TABB route. They have a good book that I think covers everything you need to learn. They have a short course but at the risk of irritating fellow members their course is just a starter. If I were you I would go the TABB route and then NEBB. If you are good at TAB you have job security and much of the work is out of the bad weather.

Post Likes
    They also have a certification for NEBB technician which only requires two years

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in