seeking AC advice: Bryant Legacy vs American Standard Gold SI

Hi all.

I am looking to install central AC and I am weighing two offers:

1) Bryant Legacy 116BNA
    vs
    2) American Standard Gold SI, 4A7A3030D1000A

It seems like most on this forum say that that the installer is most important but both seem trustworthy so I thought I'd see if anyone has opinions on which system is better? The quote for the Bryant was a bit higher.

I am in Boston and I live in a first floor condo unit that is part of a converted 2-unit single family home. My unit is on the 1st floor and is 1100 sq ft. Also, the AC would be installed on top an existing Trane furnace with a humidifier attached to it (the furnace was installed by the same technician offering the Bryant system). The upstairs condo has central AC but my unit has never had it.

I have been reading these forums and am learning a lot but if anyone has any basic advice that someone in my situation should watch out for, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

The Legacy is a builder model, no cabinet, no pressure switches. The 7A is the deluxe 13 SEER with pressure protection, nice cabinet, swept wing fan blade, plastic base pan.

The 116 will not get 16 SEER without a matched Bryant indoor unit with high efficiency fan motor. Might as well just get the 113.

I question a 1st floor 1100 sq ft condo needs 2.5 ton in most areas of the country. Demand that an accurate load calc be done.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The 116 will not get 16 SEER without a matched Bryant indoor unit with high efficiency fan motor. Might as well just get the 113.
    Thank you for the advice. Is it generally not recommended to get an unmatched unit?

It's fine to put the Bryant A/C with a Trane furnace but you won't get 16 SEER with the 116. You are paying for a unit that won't deliver.

It's fine to put the Bryant A/C with a Trane furnace but you won't get 16 SEER with the 116. You are paying for a unit that won't deliver.
    A few more questions. Does it matter what kind of furnace I have or is it more that the brands have to match? My furnace is a Trane XR95 if it helps (not sure of the specific model).

Also, since I already have a furnace in place, would it be better to get the same contractor who installed my furnace, or would any contractor know what to do?

You are fine with another dealer and another brand of A/C. Just won't get high SEER with the Trane furnace since it has a low efficiency blower motor. So no point in buying the 116 as you aren't getting 16 SEER.

Thanks! I appreciate the replies.

I question a 1st floor 1100 sq ft condo needs 2.5 ton in most areas of the country. Demand that an accurate load calc be done.
    I understand it's impossible to get an exact answer without doing a load calc, but would anyone have an idea of the range of ac sizes typically installed for a single-floor 1000 sq ft home? Is it common to see people do ok with 2 tons or even less?

Some info about my home if it helps. I live in the Boston area where summer's do get hot on occasion but typically only a handful of days a year are really unbearable. My home is old and not very well insulated but it is also pretty well shaded so that it generally feels cooler than the outside during hot summer days. Would that make a difference in what size ac I get?

That size with conditioned space above it probably could cool with 1.5 tons.

Due to some of the concerns raised by BaldLoonie, I had another estimate done. (Thanks again for the advice.)

The guy definitely did a more accurate load calc and offered a 2 ton Lennox CX34 coil + either an XC13 or 13ACX condenser. Anyone have any experience with these units?

The thing is, the 3rd guy's offer came in much higher, ~10% over the 16seer Bryant and even more vs the American Std unit.

10 % isn't much higher; It's a little higher, and you get what you pay for. Look at the warranty, and Trane on Trane is definitely a plus.