Steam Can

Thread: Steam Can

Steam Can

Has anyone ever heard of a Canadian company called Steam Can ?
    They make a model DC-3 compartment cooker , which you could also branch off of to provide steam to Kettles .
    The customers old Clevand PGM needs replacing and their trying to save money as this Steamcan is cheaper.
    Not much info online , trying to get some feedback as to their quality .
    Thanks

Actually made by "Crown Food Service Equipment Ltd", NSF certified/distributed in the US through "American Cook Systems"

Crown makes tons of stuff for many manufacturers. That unit looks a lot like a Market Forge...

Quote Originally Posted by BadBozo2315 View Post
    Actually made by "Crown Food Service Equipment Ltd"...
    FWIW from my limited experience with them...

Five or six years ago, I encountered two Market Forge table-top steamers that had major design problems. Around the same time frame I also looked a Vulcan that was identical to those Market Forge units - for the same problems. RUPTURED steam generators.
    All three were re-badged units made by Crown. All three weren't very old at all. The Market Forge units were still under warranty. I'd looked at the Vulcan because the customer said Hobart had just replaced the generator, but it only lasted a few weeks only to begin leaking again.
    I never saw any other units like these in our market, so that particular steamer wasn't mainstream around here.

Their problem was two-fold:

1. The steam generator's design was faulty. It was a two-piece tank designed to where it actually had a bolt-down top (w/gasket) in order to have full access into the tank's interior by service personnel. Just below its lid (when removed) was a cross-member welded in place in the tank. I guess it was there for greater structural strength.
    2. The steam lines leading from the generator to the cooking cavity were rigid stainless steel tubes. Compression fittings on each end. The I.D. of those lines wasn't but 1/2" or a smidgen over that.

Now, their mainstream competitors (Cleveland & Groen) both used a high temp hose to deliver steam to the cabinet. In either case, their hoses were FAR greater I.D.
    Despite the operatioanl theory that steam is pure (distilled), any one of us who services that equipment has learned that solids (limescale) somehow DOES travel with the steam and will eventually plug something up (cabinet steam nozzles, small diameter vent line ports, etc.).

In all three of those Crown units, limescale built up inside those smaller diameter steam lines. The resulting back-pressure inside the generators caused the tanks to swell. The welded cross-member in the generator tanks obviously wouldn't give to that, so the tank wall went ahead on and expanded out, thereby pulling loose of the cross-members weld. From that, a sizable hole opened up. The generator tank was then trashed.
    We replaced at least four of those generator tanks under warranty (two per unit) on those Market Forge units. I didn't fulfill the Vulcan's needs because I suggested to the man that he get Hobart back out.
    During that entire evolution, I was in constant contact with Market Forge over the issue. Their final solution: They had their supplier (Crown) modify the design so that the tank did NOT have that cross-member weldment.
    I never heard of any further problems.

"You never know what others don't know." -