Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 54
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    562
    Yes. It only makes sense that you learn the language of the land where you move. However, it takes time to learn a language well. 'Well they should learn before they move!' You say. Your ignorance is ever present. If only you understood the circumstances that so many people live under. They do well to just survivve day to day let alone learn your language before their leisurely move to the US. NOBODY IS HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND FORCING YOU TO LEARN ANOTHER LANGUAGE. (Oops caps.) It's called commerce and good business. Try to gain some real perspective people and pull your heads out of Rush Limbaugh's anus. Good advice.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,171
    The world is NOT america.
    Who are the indigenous people of America?
    A company has the right to ask for who ever they want!
    You have the right NOT to apply
    If being Bilingual gives the company the edge over others, then that is just good business.
    It is not liberalization, it is modernism.

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    The world is NOT america.
    Who are the indigenous people of America?
    A company has the right to ask for who ever they want!
    You have the right NOT to apply
    If being Bilingual gives the company the edge over others, then that is just good business.
    It is not liberalization, it is modernism.

  4. #43
    A large supply house located throughout Chicago offers Trane factory training in Polish and Spanish. They also have counter people that speak Polish and Spanish..

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,114
    I think having the ability to speak more than one language may become almost a necessity in the future. One reason that I think it will become necessary is that so many young people born and raised in this country who speak English don't want to work with their hands. We see it here in this forum. And if they do want to work, they don't want to go the extra mile to get ahead in the game.

    I will say this, however, I don't think it is right to speak a language in the workplace that all cannot speak. I had a boss who was Spanish speaking (born in Mexico, but raised in the U.S.). He started speaking in Spanish to all the guys who spoke Spanish in the office in front of the other techs who didn't speak Spanish. To me, that is just plain rude. Before he got there we all spoke English and we all understood each other. When he came along he created a rift by segregating the Spanish speaking techs from the non-Spanish speakers. Even HR couldn't break him from doing it. If he was on a job with another Spanish speaking tech and they were the only ones there, I have no problem them speaking whatever language with which they were most comfortable. But once another tech or customer is in the room I think the language has to go to the common denominator, the one they can all speak.

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East coast USA
    Posts
    957
    If i want good polish sausage I find a good polish store.

    if i want good Chinese food i go to a good Chinese restaurant.

    If i want good pizza i go to NYC...

    If i want a good Lobster i go to Maine.

    you don't go to King Buffet for a good hamburger

    You don't go to 7-11 for a good pizza.

    You don't go to Taco bell for Chinese

    Its common sense to buy from those you trust, who you know and can understand. You feel comfortable dealing with those who speak your language and understand your customs. You may not realize how many people you turn off by the way you approach them. How much business you lose because you don't understand their customs or are insensitive to their opinions or just plain ignorant of their history.


    Its good business to employ people who can speak multiple languages. If you don't you will lose business that's plain and simple. You should hire those who know the community you wish to service and can understand them. It can be a receptionist, and service manager or techs whatever.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. If you move to a country, you learn the language not force the country to learn yours. Speak multiple, great! But don't tell me I have to learn another to appease somebody that moved here.
    finally someone gets my post

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,655
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. If you move to a country, you learn the language not force the country to learn yours. Speak multiple, great! But don't tell me I have to learn another to appease somebody that moved here.
    No one/Nothing in this ad is forcing ANYONE do to ANYTHING.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    No one/Nothing in this ad is forcing ANYONE do to ANYTHING.
    Not to be rude, but where did I say that? All I did was state my opinion on people learning to speak English in the US. I agree completely with all that said there is nothing forcing anyone to apply. I also understand the business sense.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Posts
    1,655
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree. If you move to a country, you learn the language not force the country to learn yours. Speak multiple, great! But don't tell me I have to learn another to appease somebody that moved here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    Not to be rude, but where did I say that? All I did was state my opinion on people learning to speak English in the US. I agree completely with all that said there is nothing forcing anyone to apply. I also understand the business sense.
    Sorry, i guess I misinterpreted the statement the the quote - but even if you ARE talking in generalities, I have not seen any example where anyone has been forced to learn Spanish. There is also the fact that the US has never, and probably will never have, an official national language. English is the de facto language, because it is spoken by the most people - however, if there are large enough communities to provide the necessary support for other languages (see Chinatown for mandarin, Little Saigon for Vietnamese, the entire southwest region for Spanish) then there really is nothing wrong with NOT learning English. The economic incentives are still there for them TO learn English, and within a generation, the immigrant population DOES learn English. I really fail to see the harm the current language situation causes.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    565
    CarziFuzzy is correct, most 1st generation Americans speak better English than they do the language of their parents. Me and my brothers are prime examples of that. Sadly many 1st generation Americans refuse to teach their kids the language of the grandparents as well, so this "language barrier" only exist for the actual immigrants, and those hold outs who do refuse to learn are usually old and hold out because of pride, for example not wanting to lose their ethinic identity.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    Sorry, i guess I misinterpreted the statement the the quote - but even if you ARE talking in generalities, I have not seen any example where anyone has been forced to learn Spanish. There is also the fact that the US has never, and probably will never have, an official national language. English is the de facto language, because it is spoken by the most people - however, if there are large enough communities to provide the necessary support for other languages (see Chinatown for mandarin, Little Saigon for Vietnamese, the entire southwest region for Spanish) then there really is nothing wrong with NOT learning English. The economic incentives are still there for them TO learn English, and within a generation, the immigrant population DOES learn English. I really fail to see the harm the current language situation causes.
    Quote Originally Posted by artdavila View Post
    CarziFuzzy is correct, most 1st generation Americans speak better English than they do the language of their parents. Me and my brothers are prime examples of that. Sadly many 1st generation Americans refuse to teach their kids the language of the grandparents as well, so this "language barrier" only exist for the actual immigrants, and those hold outs who do refuse to learn are usually old and hold out because of pride, for example not wanting to lose their ethinic identity.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    10
    Espanol me ha ayudaba bastante en mis relacciones con la comunidad latino, un poco vale por mucho

    Spanish has helped me considerably with my relationships with the Latin American comunity, a little effort goes a long way

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event