Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading Trane Summit. BCU issue.

Hello again everyone, once again Trane has me crying the blues.

I'm doing an upgrade on an exisiting Summit system where I had an issue with compatability between a new MP581 and the existing system. The software would recognize my neuron ID for the new MP581 as a SCC.

In talking to a Trane Tech, I was told that I'd need to upgrade my Summit software to 17. Was at 15.something. So I did that, made my backups of my backups and saved them to a flash disk just incase. However after the upgrade was complete all my files remained so...great.

After registering the software and opening back up the site, much to my shagrin and the burning ears of Trane controls makers, the MP581 was still coming up as a SCC.

I went and dug deeper to find that apparently I also needed to do a "clear code/database/ram and reset" to allow the new code into the BCU. So I did that and....POW! NOTHING! Now my BCU has been steadily flashing the same -P for over an hour.

Before I did the "clear code/database/ram and reset" I checked the help file in Summit and online and they both said "Once the factory program is successfully downloaded, the PC Workstation automatically downloads its copy of the database."

Yet I still have no PD flashing at my BCU... Needless to say, my chantix is not keeping me from smoking today.

Any help would be greatly suggested...at this point do I cycle power manually at the BCU?

Sorry...my quote from the help file was missing the first sentence. It says "If the PC Workstation remains online, it automatically downloads the factory program. Once the factory program is successfully downloaded, the PC Workstation automatically downloads its copy of the database."

The PC workstation has been up and online since I did the reset.

Sounds like you did not go to site configuration and change the image to the latest and greatest that was in the software upgrade.
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Q-tip, I actually did find that. I wouldn't say I remembered it as this was my first upgrade with a summit and of course the instructions they give you are about as clear as mud. "Insert disk" "Run .exe Program" is about all I got as far as instructions with the upgrade and trying to find instructions online was well...more than trying.

So, I don't know exactly what happened or why it took this long, but after talking to a TRANE tech I know and going through everything I did, he said he was stumped and that my last ditch effort before calling one of them in was to just cycle power to the BCU.

This was, mind you, after about 2 1/2 hours of the BCU flashing the -P after doing the Code clear reset etc. So when I got up to the BCU to physically cycle power, it was actually back to it's normal operation. LoL!

One thing I DID do before going up to the BCU was to "Log on" to the site. Though I had never logged off so I don't know why that would have done anything...unless you need to log off and log back on after doing a BCU clear and reset like that? Again, finding any step by steps from trane is impossible, but I muddled through it and now feel a wonderful sense of accomplishment until my next hurdle.

Thanks for the input! Soon I'll be a smarty pants and be answering questions like this.

didn't read the entire post but if your BCU is physically connected to the workstation and showing -P then you probably need to log on to the site. It's possible to have multiple sites on one PC (i have about 100) and if you don't log in then the software won't know which site to push into the BCU.
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

did you purchase the software from Trane directly or did your customer buy it?
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

it was actually the software designated specifically for that building which has just the one BCU. So I don't know exactly what it was. But now I know and can say, even if you're connected to the site make sure to log on just in case as a redundancy.

I would need to verify, but you can activate a profile in the MP581 or use it as a generic controller. You may want to connect directly to the controller and see if it using a SCC profile. Its been awhile, but pretty sure. I can't remember how it comes into Summit with the profile, but could be creating the issue.
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.

I accidently erased my BCU database. I do not have a back up. Any suggestions on how to put in a new database. I have Tracer Summit 17 version which I got from ebay.
    Starting with small steps. Thanks.

Brothdavid, did you perform a backup of your site before you cleared the database, Ram, and reset the BCU?

Were you able to down load a copy to the BCU?

Did you obtain a licensed copy along with proper registration.

Where the Women are fast and the horses are pretty...Tennessee
    Is this the same problem;
    "Trane Summit problem
    Started by brothdavid, 12-07-2012 04:40 PM" ?

bit late response, but new MP's (so called blue boards) have a firmware revision that the older Tracer Summit versions can't read. So it shows as an SCC.
    Next time, go into site configuration, put in the version you want to use for the BCU and than do the total reset. Sometimes cycling the power after the code (firmware) has been uploaded will speed along the loading of the program.

As for the not having a back up. How did you reset the BCU than? you need to connect to the BCU to reset it, so a back up is on your PC than!

Just getting back to you...

Quote Originally Posted by StillKicking View Post
    Is this the same problem;
    "Trane Summit problem
    Started by brothdavid, 12-07-2012 04:40 PM" ?
    Yes, this is the same problem started by me on 12-07-012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast