Thread: What is a two stage thermostat?

Post Likes
    I saw an earlier thread from someone indicating with a two stage gas valve, you should get a two stage thermostat. This relates to the Trane XL 1400 model.
    Is everyone fairly firm that the variable speed drive is worth the extra 1000 USD in Kentucky/Tennessee? I wonder how much the yearly savings are versus a fixed speed/single stage gas valve.

Post Likes
    A 2 stage thermostat will control weather the unit is in first stage, or second stage, not a timer.

The VS blower is more for comfort then savings.
    But does save some money on electric to operate it, and some people can set their stat alittle higher because of the better humidity control.

Post Likes
    Does a variable speed AH require a special thermostat? --Any fancier than the best Honeywell model you can pick up at Home Depot?

(Has switches for Fan on/off and Heat/Off/Cool on the other side?)

I have a new Honeywell model I just installed myself. Now I find my 19-year old Carrier has died. Can my new Honeywell unit be used with a new vari-speed AH?

Post Likes
    Yea, your stat will be ok for it.

But there are stats that can slow down a VS blower to aid in dehumifying, by slowing down the blower.

Post Likes
    Ah! Are you saying that my AH's blower speed will not change, without a 'special' TStat? Is it the TStat that slows the blower, or circuitry inside the AH itself?

Post Likes

Thumbs up Life Cycle Cost Evaluation needed

Originally posted by bebba1
    This relates to the Trane XL 1400 model.
    Is everyone fairly firm that the variable speed drive is worth the extra 1000 USD in Kentucky/Tennessee? I wonder how much the yearly savings are versus a fixed speed/single stage gas valve.
    XL16i Heat Pump will be a much better, economical solution for yearly energy costs for KY.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Originally posted by alexb
    Ah! Are you saying that my AH's blower speed will not change, without a 'special' TStat? Is it the TStat that slows the blower, or circuitry inside the AH itself?
    Yes, in order to slow the blower down, either a humidistat, or a thermostat designed to slow the blower down is required.

Post Likes
    In the Honeywell Visionpro 8000 series, the 8110 is for "1 heat and 1 cool stage". The 8321 is for up to "3 heat and 2 cool stages". As I have a 2 stage system, I would assume I want the 8321 as the 8110 would not fully utilize the 2 stage system? Thank you very much

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wiwbar
    In the Honeywell Visionpro 8000 series, the 8110 is for "1 heat and 1 cool stage". The 8321 is for up to "3 heat and 2 cool stages". As I have a 2 stage system, I would assume I want the 8321 as the 8110 would not fully utilize the 2 stage system? Thank you very much
    The 8321 will control two stages. if you have a two stage heating and/or cooling.

Some brand has a control of their own built in to help with better humidity removeal like Trane's "Comfort-R" control that the install set up on start up.

The 8110 will only do a single stage system.

Post Likes
    Thank you for the quick reply.

Post Likes
    I checked with the company that I got a quote from, and they said circuitry internal to the AH controls the RPMs of the blower; not the TStat. (Thermistor)

However: If you have a 2-stage or 3-stage heat/cool system, then a special TStat is requird.

What I'd have, will be a single-stage A/C-only system, with a vari-speed AH. With this, I was told that the nice $50 Honeywell Tstat I installed will be just fine. (Digital, programmable)

Post Likes
    I checked with the company that I got a quote from, and they said circuitry internal to the AH controls the RPMs of the blower; not the TStat. (Thermistor)

However: If you have a 2-stage or 3-stage heat/cool system, then a special TStat is requird.

What I'd have, will be a single-stage A/C-only system, with a vari-speed AH. With this, I was told that the nice $50 Honeywell Tstat I installed will be just fine. (Digital, programmable)
    Just make sure they do the wiring in the AH properly. I see it done incorrectly all the time.

Post Likes

Then they forgot that some stats have the humidistat control built in to them that will slow the blower down.

But you can use the stat you have. It just won't slow the blower down.

Post Likes
    Quote:
    ---->But you can use the stat you have. It just won't slow the blower down.

This still is in direct contradiction to what I was told this morning. The function that slows the AH speed CAN be in the Tstat, and it also CAN be in the AH. (True/False)?

I do understand the concept that the Humidistat function is built into some high-end Tstats, and that unit will control AH's RPM. I was told that a Thermistor in the AH can also control the RPM as well (in lieu of a Humidistat hanging on your wall)?

Maybe what I'm being told in the quote above, is that the Tstat I have, won't slow the blower RPM, but the Thermistor in the AH will(?)

Post Likes
    Alex, what is your brand/model of air hander do you have?

Post Likes
    Your stat won't control the blower speed.

There is atleast one brand that uses a dehumidistat, instead of a humidistat to slow the blower.

As asked by alexb, what brand are you looking at.

Post Likes
    I'd been quoted the entry-level vari-speed from American Standard for the AH. I can appreciate that different brands are controled in different ways... The American Standard is the one where the contractor said that the Tstat didn't control the blower speed, but the internal circuitry of the AH did so.

Post Likes
    I'd been quoted the entry-level vari-speed from American Standard for the AH. I can appreciate that different brands are controled in different ways... The American Standard is the one where the contractor said that the Tstat didn't control the blower speed, but the internal circuitry of the AH did so.
    Ok, yeah a standard tstat will work with this just fine. As long the installer sets up the Comfort-R and other controls set up right, it will work great.

A person could add a dehumidstat to slow down the blower more. but it's not needed.

Post Likes
    Trane internal circuit board controls the motor, combined with the the motor module attached to the back of the motor. This is only applicable in True Variable Speed AHU's, Carrier and Lennox have them as well.

The TH8321 does not, I repeat DOES NOT control humidity. It will merely overshoot your temperature setpoint to close in on the humidity setting you have. With this setup, you are more than likely to have a home much cooler then your desired temperature.

Look for Honeywell to have additional models later this year, or early next with contacts to control and external humidifier or dehumifier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in