For the first time ever, I noticed my freon supply line was frozen today. Motor would run but I was getting no air flow through registers (and obvisouly no cooling). Decided to shut it off and the let it thaw and then my return line froze up. Let that thaw as well and now the system seems to be working fine (for now, knock on wood).

My question: is it possible that the system could work fine after the lines getting frozen?

This all happened today. Should I give it more time to decide if it is working properly? Even so, is it possible the problem is gone?

Clean/replace the filter immediately, ensure that all vents are open and unobstructed, and call a technician + shut down the system if the problem persists.

Also clean the coil. If it still freezes up, call for service.

guys, in all due respect, you missed the question. Is it possible that the unit can work properly after the pipes begin frozen (checked the coil, seems fine, filter was replaced two weeks ago)

Coils don't just freeze up for no reason.. if you can't find an obvious cause (plugged filter, etc) there is probably something else wrong, and it will probably freeze up again.

To answer your question, running with a frozen coil puts extra wear&tear on your compressor. If it's running now, then it didn't break anything, just put some more "miles" on it. You should still have it checked out, because it's likely to freeze up again, and the damage is cumulative.

Originally posted by njmania25
    guys, in all due respect, you missed the question. Is it possible that the unit can work properly after the pipes begin frozen (checked the coil, seems fine, filter was replaced two weeks ago)

Sure it is possible. My policy on buying a used car is if you know that it has been run with the crankcase two qts low on oil, don't even consider buying the car because damage has been done. But you have an A/C, not a car.

We see frozen units all the time. Homeowners who see the ice, notice water under the furnace, know that no air flow is coming out of the registers, and they still run the unit for a day or so before we get there. "I thought it would start cooling if I left it on."

If you only noticed a few feet of frost on the pipes and the A Coil was not a giant ice cube and the problem began because of an air flow issue, then no damage was done, probably. If you froze up with a clean filter, is a motor faulty and stopping? Happens.

As for damage, you will be in danger of that if you don't have the system checked out by a competent tech. You had one symptom of a problem and you can't be there 24/7 to monitor the system. If your freon level is low, it got out somewhere and more will follow thru the same leak.