+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Failed compressors

Post Likes

Failed compressors

Had two different units with failed compressors in the past two weeks. One was Carries 48SS series RTU and the other was a Trane HP split system. Based upon the tests I ran the 48SS seemed to be a mechanical failure, very foamy oil, with a burnt smell to it, and the Trane, an electrical problem based upon the ohm values between the three terminals. My question is, as anyone taken the time to cut open the casing and try to find the exact component that failed? If so, what is the best way to open up unit, without destroying the evidence? I was thinking electric hacksaw. Any thoughts. Or I am just wasting my time?

Post Likes
    I've cut open a few with a 4.5" angle grinder with a thin metal blade. Just cut above the weld line. While it's kind of pointless it helps you understand them and how they failed.

Post Likes
    I thought the same thing and cut a couple open... its a mess thats hard to understand once you look inside.. analyzing oil may help. just pour it out...

Post Likes
    Somebody on youtube has cut a few open and ran them.

Post Likes
    I recently cut open a rotary. A small piece of metal on came loose and scarred up the inside of the rotor, causing it to lock up.

I take them apart if I have time, mostly out of curiosity. I usually have a good idea of how they failed before I cut them open. Low airflow, plugged coil, refrigerant restriction, etc.

Post Likes
    Personally, I wouldn't classify a burn-out as a mechanical failure. To me, a burnout is human error. Never seen a burnout on a compressor that never saw moisture! A broken spring shorted to ground (suspected but never proven) or similar, broken valve, those to me are mechanical failures. Or an open in a winding (not common wire, of course) would be an electrical failure. JMO.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    It's a rarity to find a defective compressor motor. Most compressor motor burns are the ressult of some mechanical failure, whether it be flooding/slugging, dirty condensor resulting in high discharge/oil breakdown/high compression ratio/lack of lubrication, etc.

As to examining the compressor: Consider yourself a doctor who is looknig for the cause of death, and the only real evidence lies in the autopsy.

If you want to get an expert opinion, send it back to the compressor manufacturer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I take them apart if I have time, mostly out of curiosity. I usually have a good idea of how they failed before I cut them open. Low airflow, plugged coil, refrigerant restriction, etc.
    I can almost always tell what killed the compressor after it is changed. Oil migration can be the worst one to fix.

Post Likes
    I've used a grinder before too just like to cut things open with it reversing valves are cool to open up too. Could have been a number of things that caused the burn out... Make sure to clean the lines out really good unless you enjoy changing out compressors as often as the filter! Have fun cutting that thing open

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in