A question about a problem using the Totaltouch (aka Carrier Climatouch) which is 24 vac powered, with an oil heat system and an air conditioning system - a new Trane. I want to be able to use only the heat when I need to run my backup generator, which supplies 240/120 VAC to it and 3 other circuits in my house (emergency power only - no air conditioning), but there's no "common" connection to power the stat from the heating system, and no "common" terminal at the burner's Honeywell control box (6 yrs. old). The stat runs fine controlling the air conditioning and heat when the ac power is on to both, but doesn't work for heat only when the power to the air handler is off and the heating system is on by itself. There is a common connection from the Trane air handler to the stat (5 wire system).

I'm going to contact my heating co. to see what they can do that allows the thermostat to be powered when the electricity is on only for the heating system. While I'm waiting for them to came and take a look, do you have any suggestions about what they might do?

I don't want them to mess up the thermostat or the controls in the air handler!

Do you know a good electrician? Your ac contractor should be able to configure it but it may take more than one tradesman to accomplish it.

some gens have a relay pack to switch off some unwanted loads

Originally posted by gas1
    some gens have a relay pack to switch off some unwanted loads
    Good point.The control side of your system is located in the cooling side so,if no power,no heat.This control will have to be rewired to supply power while gen. is in power mode.

Would it be a problem to include the air handler on the generator powered circuit? With the AC off I wouldn't think the power load would be very much.

Originally posted by danglerb
    Would it be a problem to include the air handler on the generator powered circuit? With the AC off I wouldn't think the power load would be very much.
    An oil system does not use electricity.The blower does.The furnace/AH is what we're talking about!HO's shouldn't be able to answer HO questions. NUFF SAID!!!!!

Sorry, but the HO is right here. The oil system is burner/boiler/hot water circulator, and does use electricity. It's separate from the air handler/ac system, but on the same stat. The air handler is for cooling only (not needed in winter around here, or during power failures).

To power the control at the air handler from the genny, the air handler would have to be recircuited into a larger generator feed panel, (old one's already full (4 circuits)), which would also have to be rewired for more amperage, and a larger transfer switch to go from power co. to generator (emergency) power.

I've gotten a lot of info on these boards, both from pros and from HOs. A bad attitude and incompetence from a local pro is what started me looking for some help here. That local contractor now has 1 less customer and a couple bad recommendations.

Originally posted by lightingguy
    Sorry, but the HO is right here. The oil system is burner/boiler/hot water circulator, and does use electricity. It's separate from the air handler/ac system, but on the same stat. The air handler is for cooling only (not needed in winter around here, or during power failures).

To power the control at the air handler from the genny, the air handler would have to be recircuited into a larger generator feed panel, (old one's already full (4 circuits)), which would also have to be rewired for more amperage, and a larger transfer switch to go from power co. to generator (emergency) power.

I've gotten a lot of info on these boards, both from pros and from HOs. A bad attitude and incompetence from a local pro is what started me looking for some help here. That local contractor now has 1 less customer and a couple bad recommendations.
    If you have a problem with answer given here, then ask somebody else online.

Can't see your set-up, nor have you provided enough information to how your system is design to acheive an answer that would solve your problem.

But,I would ask if air handler is not needed in winter, WHY would you want to operate seperate heating system off the same stat..Might want to see if it is possible for RC-RH circuit to split them off the same stat and another transformer would be needed to power it from the heating system.

[Edited by aircooled53 on 06-18-2006 at 07:20 AM]
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>