Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Gee, I'm gonna have to resurrect that letter I received back in the '90s....from the guy claiming to represent the Republic of Texas.....that demanded that the City return all properties rightfully owned by the Republic, or face prosecution....

Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Again....you're puporting selected incidents to represent the norm. It simply isn't so.
    Sorry John, but it simply is so . It is proved by the Henry George Theorem, so that fact is not up for debate:

"The Henry George Theorem, named for 19th century U.S. political economist and activist Henry George, states that under certain ideal conditions, aggregate spending by government will be equal to aggregate rent based on land value (land rent). Although these conditions never obtain in reality, actual conditions are often close enough to the theoretical ideals that the great majority of government spending does indeed appear as increased land value. This general relationship, first noted by the French physiocrats in the 18th century, is one basis for advocating the collection of a rent/tax based on land values to help defray the public expenditures which created the land values in the first place. Henry George popularized this method of raising public revenue in his works, especially in the international bestseller, Progress and Poverty (1879)." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_George_Theorem

So as you can see, if government was allowed by law to collect the land rents created by its activities, then government could be self funding, and there would be no need for involuntary taxation; just a value for value transaction, where government provides and is paid for services, and landowners pay for and receive those services. Government could function as a business, and its revenue would by tied to its performance; beneficial activities would yield increased revenue, while non-beneficial activities (or corruption) would see revenues fall.

I think your confusion is coming from your refusal to learn the difference between a developer and a landowner. Economically speaking, the landowners role is purely parasitical, his only “job” is to receive the economic rent of land. A developer contributes capital, the landowner contributes nothing, as the land was already there. Just remember the THREE factors of production are LAND, CAPITAL, AND LABOR; if it is capital (like the private infrastructure you keep referring to) then it indisputably is NOT land.

The benefits of land value taxation are:

- Drastically reduced land prices
    - Land value tax is the easiest tax to collect and enforce
    - Land cannot be hidden or moved to foreign countries
    - Land value tax does not increase consumer prices, lower wages, or interfere with production incentives
    - Once implemented the land value tax is the only burdenless tax
    - The land value tax is the only tax not susceptible to burden shifting (only those who benefit from government spending pay, everyone else pays nothing neither directly or indirectly)
    - The land value tax is the only tax with no “dead weight loss”
    - The land value tax is voluntary and requires no penal action, just the loss of privilege
    - The land value tax eliminates land speculation and the vast damage it does to the economy
    - The land value tax with a flat, universal personal exemption would restore the natural right of every individual citizen to use some land completely free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dumnut View Post
    The benefits of land value taxation are:

- Drastically reduced land prices
    - Land value tax is the easiest tax to collect and enforce
    - Land cannot be hidden or moved to foreign countries
    - Land value tax does not increase consumer prices, lower wages, or interfere with production incentives
    - Once implemented the land value tax is the only burdenless tax
    - The land value tax is the only tax not susceptible to burden shifting (only those who benefit from government spending pay, everyone else pays nothing neither directly or indirectly)
    - The land value tax is the only tax with no “dead weight loss”
    - The land value tax is voluntary and requires no penal action, just the loss of privilege
    - The land value tax eliminates land speculation and the vast damage it does to the economy
    - The land value tax with a flat, universal personal exemption would restore the natural right of every individual citizen to use some land completely free of charge.

Good luck with that....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Good luck with that....
    I think most individuals would find it very comforting to know that no matter what happens, they will always have some land to use, to make their own sustenance, and that they could never be dispossessed from that right.

"The “single tax” [land value tax] is so simple, so fundamental, and so easy to carry into effect that I have no doubt that it will be about the last reform the world will ever get. People in this world are not often logical.” — Clarence Darrow (1857 - 1938)

Thanks for your well wishes?

This is my private property. I paid taxes on it when I bought it. I'll have to pay taxes when I sell it. I have to pay taxes on everything I buy to improve, repair, and maintain my property. Why should I have to continue to pay taxes on my property after I've bought it. I don't pay additional taxes on my other belongings. When I buy a tool I pay the tax and that's it, I don't get taxed every year for that same tool. I will never understand the perpetual collection of property taxes. Welcome to America now get the F out. Equal taxation = flat tax. basic 10%(would realistically need to be higher given debt at this point) regardless of income level top earners still pay more but everyone contributes equal percentage of their income. I also like consumption tax but with the welfare state the way it is a portion of those taxes collected will be from tax money.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456