Need some "uncle in the business" advice. 8 year old home AC condenser is leaking. Got a good service company used for several years, suggesting to replace condenser w/a 14 or 15 Seer 4 ton, and also replace the evaporator with a 4 ton. Promoting a Lennox.

I am torn - looking to sell the home in 3 years, three kids in college and this is one full semester tuition room & Board. Hate to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Can I replace the leaking condenser only and hope for the best?

Can I move to a heat pump system more reasonably?

Well for starters if you are selling the home wouldn't you be able to add the new system into the value of your home? Also when the potential buyer has the home inspected if the inspector is doing their job they'll notice the new/old leaking system. Also with an existing system most evap. coils, (the coil inside your house on top of your furnace aka indoor coil), need throughly cleaned. Also the SEER rating of your indoor coil will not change with a new outdoor unit. It is better to install a new indoor and outdoor unit.

With that all being said if the system is only 8 years old and has been maintained properly you should be able to get another 7 plus years out of it. Average life expectancy of a unit is around 15 + years with maintenance. Get quotes and weigh out the costs vs. savings.

I like heat pumps but with the added cost of the heat pump you may/may not get the savings out of the heat pump in the next 3 years to justify the extra cost. Depends on energy rates in your area.

Anyway best of luck.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

I wouldn't replace just outside. But wouldn't put in a 14-15 SEER either. Find a good dealer who will put in an economy model matched system, 13 SEER.

the inside coil was replaced two years ago by the company telling me I should replace both the outside AC condenser an the inside coil now. Shouldn't the two year old inside coil be OK?
    Really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks,

The indoor coil should be fine if it is only two years old - as long as you've had a decent filter installed.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

You can just replace the outside condenser. Find out
    what SEER the indoor evap., coil is, and have a
    contractor find a condenser to closely match your
    2 year old evap coil. If it is a 10 Seer coil, a
    contractor may still be able to find some 10 seer
    units laying around new.

I would not fool with going heat pump, too much
    difference, and your evap coil most likely is not
    compatable.

If you have a real good contractor, and the leak
    in your condenser is easy to get to, he may be able