I will be getting my system installed next week. I recieved a well written proposal from the HVAC professional I chose from 5 estimates.

Any danger to me that he said I did not have to sign the proposal he would just mail me the bill when he was finished. He is a very casual guy and his company is well thought of, 85 year history in my area. Good references including one from from a fella I met at my kids soccer game who works for a HVAC distributor/supplier in my area who suggested him.

Thank you for providing me this forum to observe for the past month.

By the way he was the only one who came out and measured for a load calc. He also had the lowest btu furnace of the bunch.

A brave man he is. I am not that trusting, personally I insist on everything signed and dotted.

He's probably an honest guy, but a signed written proposal PROTECTS YOU BOTH...

Originally posted by wiwbar
    I will be getting my system installed next week. I recieved a well written proposal from the HVAC professional I chose from 5 estimates.

Any danger to me that he said I did not have to sign the proposal he would just mail me the bill when he was finished.

He is a very casual guy and his company is well thought of, 85 year history in my area.

Good references including one from from a fella I met at my kids soccer game who works for a HVAC distributor/supplier in my area who suggested him.

Do you know the model numbers of each piece of equipment?

Are (if any, i.e. thermostat, humidistat, ...)
    extras clearly defined?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Yes, Everything is as clearly spelled out as the other estimates and seems complete. Thank you

Yes, Everything is as clearly spelled out as the other estimates and seems complete. Thank you

Just to play devils advocate.

It doesn't matter what the contract spells out, if its not signed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for all your help. I will talk to him about getting something in writing. This would seem to avoid any he said, we said issues.

I don't know how the guy survives, there are people who target contractors and burn them bad.

There are risks out there, suppose the guy that wants the AC is a tenant moving out in two weeks?

What happens if the owners get a divorce before the guy gets paid?

Originally posted by beenthere
    It doesn't matter what the contract spells out, if its not signed.
    That's what my wife said 32 years ago and that is the reason I am probably still here because I signed that contract.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

gto boy Guest
    If you like the guy,say"If I ever sell the house I want a signed copy with the warranties spelled out."

Thanks for all your help. I will talk to him about getting something in writing. This would seem to avoid any he said, we said issues.
    Insist on it , as he seems to be a reputable contractor.