Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: it's not!!!

yeah im sure its every company out there but our once a week meeting always consists of how much we're supposed to make a call and what not. but i believe if they really need it ill let them know and kinda bug them about it and other things that arent as important or wont lead to bigger problems i just inform them about and let them decide. but when i rode along with a senior tech the first 2 months at the company i asked all kinds of questions even the ones i was pretty sure i asked just to make sure i was right . but thats the one things with still being a newbie is second guessing my self and having the confidence i fixed it properly

Quote Originally Posted by rchristie420 View Post
    yeah im sure its every company out there but our once a week meeting always consists of how much we're supposed to make a call and what not. but i believe if they really need it ill let them know and kinda bug them about it and other things that arent as important or wont lead to bigger problems i just inform them about and let them decide. but when i rode along with a senior tech the first 2 months at the company i asked all kinds of questions even the ones i was pretty sure i asked just to make sure i was right . but thats the one things with still being a newbie is second guessing my self and having the confidence i fixed it properly
    I feel for you. I have worked for a company with the same goal! SELL SELL SELL. No matter what it takes. I did my ride along and was dumb founded that the senior tech did not have a clue on service work. But could sell anything to anyone. I was told that they did not mind sending a tech back to fix his mistakes, aslong as they had the sale. They are a flat rate. I spent 3 months using my personal car to do there installs to prove myself. To get that goal of a service truck and the things that was propmised. Got my truck finally and realised the boss was selling me snake oil. No longer there.

The hardest thing for most newbies is other techs not willing to to help them. The owners who see classes as a costly overhead. Not a money maker. I have learned to help others by Passing it forward. I work for a small company who has no problem sending me to class. I have taken more classes in the year and half being with this company then any other combind.

shrtct

yeah im looking into taking some classes in the fall after cooling season slows down and before heating season kicks up. i was lucky enough to have a good friend and a very good and wise tech to ride along with. they're a good few techs at my job that know what they're talking about and are very very good techs others are like your ride along tech, can sell ice to an eskimo but is asking for a backup tech when it comes to why the blower motor wont come on lol

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    The tool...

It's the tech!!!

many pages here

many threads here

many repeats!!!

what's the best this or that.

put the best tools known to man in a 'tech's' hands that hasn't the experience or the willingness to accept the challenge...

you've nothing more than a pile of the crappiest tools

Agreed but a fubar'd thermometer can ruin your day, week, month, and maybe year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The only tools that I carry are jumper wires.
    Now how you can you bypass a pressure line with jumper wires? LOL
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by MechAcc View Post
    Now how you can you bypass a pressure line with jumper wires? LOL
    veryy carefully

Cool

In EMS we had a saying: "treat the patient-not the machine". This means you must know what you're looking at because often what some machine says does not match with what you're seeing or hearing from the patient. You must have that basis first in order to apply the technology. Or, in Timmie's case, just replace that corroded out condenser with another and I'll see you again in three years.

Tools 0r Tech??

I teach apprentices and I think the most over used tool is the cell phone. I love the call about negative superheat, the vacuum that cannot be achieved. You must have good tools to make good decisions. They don't have to be the most expensive, but you have to trust your tools. And you must keep the working good. I have seen people treat others tools like garbage and wonder why the original oil in the vacuum pump would be the reason it won't pull below 2000 Microns. I do also see contractors who will almost fire a person for a call back and hand them a harbor freight vacuum pump to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Agreed but a fubar'd thermometer can ruin your day, week, month, and maybe year!!!
    that's the tool, or the guy using the tool???

military rule is, the person using the tool mmust be at least 10% smarter than the tool they are using just ask my dad
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post

I wouldnt mind doing residential again..... but I would want to do it for myself. You can have a succesfull business without having to resort to selling parts on every pm and selling changeouts on three and four year old equipment.
    you wouldn't get far.

but knock yourself out and let us all know how you do

however, i don't know any business (that's still in business) trying to sell new equipment on 3-4yr old equipment owners. that's bad business... 10yrs old, absolutely. do it all the time here.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    you wouldn't get far.

but knock yourself out and let us all know how you do

however, i don't know any business (that's still in business) trying to sell new equipment on 3-4yr old equipment owners. that's bad business... 10yrs old, absolutely. do it all the time here.
    I beg to differ...

One man show here, making good $$$, with control of my life. And I know a bunch of guys like me who are making good $$$ with control of their lives.

So I am sorry... but the idea that one has to sell endless 'fixes' to make it is just not really true... unless the co has too much overhead... which is the co's fault, not the customers.

Just my
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234