Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: it's not!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Just my

These new electronic tools are GREAT for ease of work, as long as folks know the "WHY's". IMO the REAL issue is the newbee does not understand the WHY'S of how refrigeration and AC and heat works. If they did, they would not be standing there scratching their heads... unless they are having a brain-f*rt day... like we all do sometimes.

So now we have a question: Do we teach the newbee only what is necessary for him to run calls and make $$$ (if this, then that... with no understanding of why)... or do we take the extra time (which costs extra $$$) to teach the newbee enough (the why's of how things work, so they can think well enough to actually diagnose, rather than stuff parts at the problem until it is fixed) for them to become GREAT techs???
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I agree.

I have nothing against using the best tools, or digital meter, or digital gauges. There has to be an understanding of the basics before the good tools can be fully utilized.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    every residential business nowadays.... this is thier practice, thier objective, thier only concern! make money. they don't care what you know, so long as you are making them a ton of money.

this is why there are so many one man bands in our industry, and rising at an alarming rate

company owners are complaining about some kinda technician shortage SMH
    Yeah, it does appear the resi business is full of 'get rich folks'... However:

Most of the small shops I know are quality shops. They intentionally keep their overhead low (most work from home)... to allow the time to do a better job for competitive rates.

IMO the REAL problem is HO's that think they will get something for nothing... so they call the 'cheap guy'... read that the $29.95 tune-up. When it is done, they have been 'sold' something they do not need. Wonder how many times a person has to be taken before they use some common sense?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I have been told before that it must be nice to live in the world that I live in. I allways respond the same way, The way I live and work is a choice. Our business is limited in growth by the availability of skilled and liscensed techs. It was a choice we made to only do the work that we could intimately control the quality level on.

Other companies rush to meet demand and flood the field with unskilled, untooled, workers and they in essance are creating their own drama to be lived out in color. When you commit to only do a quality of work that is beyond what is called for you can focus on makeing it profitable, and efficient.

The reality is that we do not charge anymore than the hacks, but call backs are allmost non existant, and it allows us to offer a true 5 year unlimited parts and labor gaurantee on everything we do, from in house with no manufacturer support.

All that is possible by our senior people working hard to train their own replacements. This model makes for little or no drama in both commercial and residential work.
    Eric

IMO the REAL problem is HO's that think they will get something for nothing... so they call the 'cheap guy'... read that the $29.95 tune-up. When it is done, they have been 'sold' something they do not need. Wonder how many times a person has to be taken before they use some common sense?
    the customer base has gone crazy, mostly IMHO due to the get rich quick companies.

the 29.95 tune up is bait and switch.

i know first hand of a company that does that particular type of tune up plan. they are only doing it to get in the door. once the "tech" is in the door, the HO needs everything under the sun and beyond the other side of the moon, to the point that the customer may as well buy a new system...
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

either way, the tools don't make the tech!!!

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

the customer base has gone crazy, mostly IMHO due to the get rich quick companies.

the 29.95 tune up is bait and switch.

i know first hand of a company that does that particular type of tune up plan. they are only doing it to get in the door. once the "tech" is in the door, the HO needs everything under the sun and beyond the other side of the moon, to the point that the customer may as well buy a new system...
    I am not convinced the customer's attitude is a result of pressure sales firms... rather the customer (HO) truly thinks they can get something for nothing... and honestly does not understand that cheap and good do not come in the same package. The old saying 'you get what you pay for' is just not popular with the 'modern consumer'... regardless of whether it is true or not.

To me, someone that is too dumb to understand quality has a price... well they deserve to loose their $$$. Problem is... modern America is obsessed with 'cheap'... then they complain about poor quality... DUH...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    Depends on which view is in your perceived interest... Whether or not it works.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

modern America is obsessed with 'cheap'... ...

modern america is obsessed with wealth. get rich quick and easy.

sell on price (cheap) and use cheap junk and labor to increase profit margain.

modern america is obsessed with wealth. get rich quick and easy.

sell on price (cheap) and use cheap junk and labor to increase profit margain.
    Seems to me from a consumers view: It is all the same, just find the cheapest price and I win... no sense of quality or value.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Seems to me from a consumers view: It is all the same, just find the cheapest price and I win... no sense of quality or value.
    because if you don't know, it is all the same.

selling on low bid, you want them to think it's all the same.

selling on the fact that you do it better... you've got to sell yourself

which is easier ???

wouldn't have a wall of shame on this here site if quality where easy

because if you don't know, it is all the same.

selling on low bid, you want them to think it's all the same.

selling on the fact that you do it better... you've got to sell yourself

which is easier ???

wouldn't have a wall of shame on this here site if quality where easy
    DOING quality work is easy...
    Selling yourself as quality and justifying the $$$; well that is a skill.

My approach is to show the customer VALUE for their $$$'s.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I would hope that great tools would help a tech work more efficiently and effectively sadly the greatest tool of all between the ears remains the one with the greatest potential wether maintaining, repairing, selling, managing or running a company.
    It's Hammer Time!

I went to a customers home once to fix a furnace.....called in to tell the shop I was going to get a part for the furnace and the service manager started screaming at me to not fix it and to tell them it was shot.

The customer could hear every word of that convo.....

I wouldnt mind doing residential again..... but I would want to do it for myself. You can have a succesfull business without having to resort to selling parts on every pm and selling changeouts on three and four year old equipment.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast