Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: it's not!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Leatherman, don't forget the Leatherman.
    dont forget the SOG

You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    dont forget the SOG

Yes, I am looking at getting the Power Assist model. Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj

I have the power lock.

Not sure if it is the same, but I won't be without it.

So now we have a question: Do we teach the newbee only what is necessary for him to run calls and make $$$ (if this, then that... with no understanding of why)... or do we take the extra time (which costs extra $$$) to teach the newbee enough (the why's of how things work, so they can think well enough to actually diagnose, rather than stuff parts at the problem until it is fixed) for them to become GREAT techs???[/QUOTE]

Training and teaching an apprentice pays money not cost money. If you do not train the theory of why they are nothing more than extensions of your brain.
    Training them makes them your equal in time. A lot of people do not train because they want to hold apprentices back so their knowledge base is never threatned. I live for the days when my apprentices tell me no, explain why, and they are right!
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post

Training and teaching an apprentice pays money not cost money. If you do not train the theory of why they are nothing more than extensions of your brain.
    Training them makes them your equal in time. A lot of people do not train because they want to hold apprentices back so their knowledge base is never threatned. I live for the days when my apprentices tell me no, explain why, and they are right!
    Eric
    Very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Whaddya takin em apart for, dumazz?

Yer sposed at be fixin em
    Im really just cleaning them, ya dont think they let me really work on them do you?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Yes, yes it is
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I only need one jumper wire.

I jumper controls until the compressor starts then walk away.

I'm the cheapest and fastest tech at the company.

Sadly others don't see that as a joke but an option.
    I followed up on a tech that had jumpered out the centrifugal switch on an inducer blower motor on a HUGE makeup air unit. Motor had failed, gas ignited, unit cratered. Must've been some mushroom cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by waterpirate View Post
    So now we have a question: Do we teach the newbee only what is necessary for him to run calls and make $$$ (if this, then that... with no understanding of why)... Eric

every residential business nowadays.... this is thier practice, thier objective, thier only concern! make money. they don't care what you know, so long as you are making them a ton of money.

this is why there are so many one man bands in our industry, and rising at an alarming rate

company owners are complaining about some kinda technician shortage SMH
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    every residential business nowadays.... this is thier practice, thier objective, thier only concern! make money. they don't care what you know, so long as you are making them a ton of money.

this is why there are so many one man bands in our industry, and rising at an alarming rate

company owners are complaining about some kinda technician shortage SMH
    EVERY residential business???

EVERY residential business???
    sorry, %99.98
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I agree with what beachy is saying.. Thats why I jumped to the commercial side. I hated being told I had to be a salesman.. Plus its a lot more challenging!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

I think all resi companies are drinking the koolaid at some secret seminar. it is ridiculous the stuff they say that we should be schlepping at maintenance time. I had a guy tell me I should suggest smoke detectors. I cleaned out my/his truck. now his useless son has it and he ofcourse can do no wrong. I am in resi hell right now just biding my time to get into a small shop or a full commercial. I like resi work, but hate the specter constantly hanging over my head of replace that system. we were flat out told the other day that we make no $$ in service. I asked if we might want to make some changes to make us more profitable? nope everything is fine.

Sorry beach, hijacked the thread. one of out worst guys used to tell customers he had a $600 tool for clearing their drainline.......this same guy told us he had a 60% failure rate on minisplits he installed........but he had a lot of pretty tools.....pretty misused. He went on the preferred tech program. Prefer he work at something else.......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast