Peoples Gas Opportunity or City of Chicago Job - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the input guys. My gut is telling me that the Peoples Gas Company job will be better in the long run. But 6 months no pay!! That's hard to swallow, considering my wife is not working and we have a newborn baby. I will have to pay out of pocket for health insurance also.

Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. My gut is telling me that the Peoples Gas Company job will be better in the long run. But 6 months no pay!! That's hard to swallow, considering my wife is not working and we have a newborn baby. I will have to pay out of pocket for health insurance also.
    I tend to agree with you here... But ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Good luck with whatever decision you make... COuldn't really blame you for either choice....

Yes, it's a hard pill to swallow, but so will having a bad back, and no skills to show for it when you are done being a laborer.

6 month's isn't that long. It will no doubt be a hard 6 month's, but there are allways part time jobs.

You have to remember, no one starts at the top, but most that are there had to make hard choices along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Not as a laborer he wouldn't. In order to run equipment, he'd need to be an equipment operator, which is a seperate union.

Chicago unions have a very "this is my job, and that is your job" sort of attitude.

He may not even be "qualified" to connect or disconnect the sections of pipe to the crane, because you'd need to be in the riggers union for that.

The way union labor sees it, you need at least 15 or so guys to install a furnace.

a trucker to deliver it, a rigger to get it off the truck, a laborer to bring it from the truck to the installing location, the rigger to unload the from the dolley to the point of installation, a pipe fitter to install the gas line, and electrician to run the condoit, a sheet metal worker to install the sheet metal, a service fitter to start up and test. I think I forgot the demo crew to remove the old one, etc...

I think you get the point.
    If that was all true, then why are the Sheet Metal Workers stepping all over our toes? Like the other guy asked what does decorative sheet metal have to do with HVACR?

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    If that was all true, then why are the Sheet Metal Workers stepping all over our toes? Like the other guy asked what does decorative sheet metal have to do with HVACR?

Not sure what you mean by decorative sheetmetal.

Obviusly I was exagerating. But there is truth in it. Laborers labor.

A new development has changed everything, just got a certified letter from Local 597 Pipefitters and i"m starting my apprenticeship in about 2 weeks!!!! After trying to get into a good union job for the past 4 years, it's kind of nice to my pick between 3 good jobs.

A new development has changed everything, just got a certified letter from Local 597 Pipefitters and i"m starting my apprenticeship in about 2 weeks!!!! After trying to get into a good union job for the past 4 years, it's kind of nice to my pick between 3 good jobs.
    Take it!!

Quote Originally Posted by prorefco View Post
    Take it!!
    Thanks, I will!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12