Peoples Gas Opportunity or City of Chicago Job
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Peoples Gas Opportunity or City of Chicago Job

After working for a low wage at a non union hvac company for about a year I am really looking into going union. I have been accepted for an opportunity to get 6 months of free training through a Veterans training program and enter Peoples Gas as a Utility worker. Only problem is that the 6 months is NOT PAID!! But with $24.00 per hour starting wage, pension, 401k and more, I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

Option 2 is a job as a construction laborer for the city of chicago working on a huge project replacing the entire water main system in the city. 2 year apprenticeship starting at $22 per hour topping out at $35 per hour+ pension, benefits and paid ojt.

I have 2 weeks to decide, any advice, ideas, or experiences with either?

If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would go for the union position. But that's also assuming you can get past that 6 month window without wages.

Quote Originally Posted by prorefco View Post
    If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would go for the union position. But that's also assuming you can get past that 6 month window without wages.
    I can make it 6 months with the money I have saved but would rather not have to use that money. Both positions are union, The utility workers job with Peoples Gas is Local 18007 Gas Workers. The Water Department Job is with Local 1092 Laborers Union.

Take the job with the Water Department.Hands down the best jobs going.Although you should find out how long[timeframe] the project is because you may be laid off upon completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Achicagoperator View Post
    Take the job with the Water Department.Hands down the best jobs going.Although you should find out how long[timeframe] the project is because you may be laid off upon completion.
    The Project is 10+ years and may or may not be seasonal. Thanks you guys for the responses so far, like I said this is one tough decision.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    The Project is 10+ years and may or may not be seasonal. Thanks you guys for the responses so far, like I said this is one tough decision.
    I see why they doubled my water bill.City jobs the way to go.

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards the City job myself just worried about what happens when the project ends, but hopefully there will be more work to be done.

go for the gas company.

A laborer job will leave you totally clueless at the end of the project.

The only job you'll know how to do is lay pipe.

If you land the gig with the gas company, you can take that knowlegde and work anywhere.

Sounds like a toss-up then... Good luck with whatever choice you make...

with the public works dept wouldnt you learn to operate heavy equipment and such? i think you would learn much more than "laying pipe".

Quote Originally Posted by jvillehvac View Post
    with the public works dept wouldnt you learn to operate heavy equipment and such? i think you would learn much more than "laying pipe".
    Not as a laborer he wouldn't. In order to run equipment, he'd need to be an equipment operator, which is a seperate union.

Chicago unions have a very "this is my job, and that is your job" sort of attitude.

He may not even be "qualified" to connect or disconnect the sections of pipe to the crane, because you'd need to be in the riggers union for that.

The way union labor sees it, you need at least 15 or so guys to install a furnace.

a trucker to deliver it, a rigger to get it off the truck, a laborer to bring it from the truck to the installing location, the rigger to unload the from the dolley to the point of installation, a pipe fitter to install the gas line, and electrician to run the condoit, a sheet metal worker to install the sheet metal, a service fitter to start up and test. I think I forgot the demo crew to remove the old one, etc...

I think you get the point.

Thanks for the input guys. My gut is telling me that the Peoples Gas Company job will be better in the long run. But 6 months no pay!! That's hard to swallow, considering my wife is not working and we have a newborn baby. I will have to pay out of pocket for health insurance also.

Quote Originally Posted by nairb25 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. My gut is telling me that the Peoples Gas Company job will be better in the long run. But 6 months no pay!! That's hard to swallow, considering my wife is not working and we have a newborn baby. I will have to pay out of pocket for health insurance also.
    I tend to agree with you here... But ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Good luck with whatever decision you make... COuldn't really blame you for either choice....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast