+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No experience!!!

Post Likes

No experience!!!

Ok guys and girls this is my last week of school(HVAC/R trade SCHOOL). I have been looking for a jobs in the hvac/r field and everything that i have seen requires experience. So how do I get around this? I have seen job postings that do not require experience just a CFC license but they are jobs at apartments and I really do not want to do that.

My background is repairing copiers and fax machines the last six years; so I have experience being unsupervised and getting things done.

I am thinking that if I don't find something I am just going to back to school and get a AAS in Industrial Systems Technology. I know some guys that got hired straight out of that program with no experience and making pretty decent money.

Post Likes
    You have to keep plugging away! Warm weather is coming ad if you put yourself out there as a guy who will do anything and the employer knows he will make money on you, it wont matter that you dont have experience.

I would hire a guy right out of school to help my techs do system swaps and new installs. At least that way you have a background from school and will know what your looking at and will learn from it. Dont get discouraged and be glad you're graduating now and not the end of September/ Early October. This way you have the whole summer to hustle and gain experience.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    As Dan says, get your applications/resume out there and take "any" job even if its as an installer's helper or equipment delivery/pickup. Gotta start somewhere. All our present employees started as helpers, once work habits and skills improved they moved on into lead installer and service positions. Knock on doors and try and meet the managers/owners themselves! Keep on checking in with them and be persistant. Every company wants "road ready" experienced and certified people, but in REALITY most of us have to "grow" our own. Some of my WORST employment experiences has been with "experienced" newly hired employees. Usually found our why they had problems with other past employers!! Good luck and hang in there. With your previous experience, you should not have a problem.

Post Likes
    Im right there with you OP. I havent really seen diddly in a long time. Now that im coming up on the end of my schooling its getting discouraging looking.
    Have you tried some of the fastfood/supermarkets? I know wendy's and Mcd's are hiring alot of people for there maintence positions. I hear decent pay and benefits go along with it but im not sure. I know one of the most desirable places to work around here are supermarkets and schools.

Post Likes
    u might wanna try working for free for a couple weeks???

Please, Please Please......keep the Factory Smoke in the Wires!!!!!

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

Post Likes
    take whatever you can get to get some experience I started making less than 10 buck an hour and I have moved up since then. Its getting hot so people need coil cleaners, service helpers, and just general grunts. apartments might be okay if you dont have to do carpentry and pool cleaning, mainly hvac

Post Likes
    try Brady Service they handle the entire state
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BackwoodsNC View Post

I am thinking that if I don't find something I am just going to back to school and get a AAS in Industrial Systems Technology.
    Automation? You should follow up on that regardless! The HVAC trade isn't what it used to be.

Post Likes
    Ok guys and girls this is my last week of school(HVAC/R trade SCHOOL). I have been looking for a jobs in the hvac/r field and everything that i have seen requires experience. So how do I get around this? I have seen job postings that do not require experience just a CFC license but they are jobs at apartments and I really do not want to do that.

My background is repairing copiers and fax machines the last six years; so I have experience being unsupervised and getting things done.

I am thinking that if I don't find something I am just going to back to school and get a AAS in Industrial Systems Technology. I know some guys that got hired straight out of that program with no experience and making pretty decent money.
    It does not matter what the add says. Apply anyway. Also, prepare a resume, and fax it to every company with a listed fax #.

Someone will call.

Good Luck.

Post Likes
    LEAVE NOW!!!!!!!! FIND A NEW MAJOR AND LEAVE!

Post Likes
    I started in hotels for 8 bucks an hour. I learned a lot fast working on residental and commercial equipment. rough work for small pay but a good way to get experiance fast and almost always one out there hireing.

Post Likes
    Comoutsid322 why don't you go back to the post you started and start answering some of the questions instead of coming over here and discouraging someone who actually cares?

Post Likes
    Thanks for responses; gave me some fresh ideas ;-)

Post Likes
    I graduate from HVAC/R on May 18th 2012. Once I passed my competency tests I went out there with my resume and filled out applications. I talked to CEO's and contractors and they would ask me questions about the trade. Examples of this would be "What is superheat?" I would reply it is the tempature above saturation for refrigerant and tell them how to get the calculations. I also was asked what subcooling is and afew electrical questions. Sale yourself to them and you will get hired on. I got hired on with a company and they wasn't even hiring because I impressed him so well, I start on the 21st of May. I basicly have the weekend after I graduate and I'm in the field.

Post Likes
    It will be a rude awakening thats for sure. No experience in a trade where experience is everything. If your inclined mechanically and can think on your feet and patient you will be fine. Hope its a good ethical company.

Post Likes

where in nc do you live
    You can't kiss death without it kissing you back. Death is a passionate kisser.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in