Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    We are replacing our old A/C and furnace.

If money is not an issue, is there a reason not to get the more expensive Trane XLi19 vs XLi14 or XLi15?

I was told by a Trane dealer that because our house needs a 5-ton A/C unit, even with the XLi19, the highest SEER we will get is 16.5.

It's all very confusing. I don't want to pay for unnecessary features.

In the meanwhile, we haven't had any A/C for three weeks. The old one is not worth fixing. The weather is hot here.

I would appreciate any response.

The XL19i will keep you more comforterable and has better overall humidity control, especially in mild weather.

Generally it would not be worth the price difference over a XL14i or 15i based on energy savings alone, but there are exeptions, depending on the cooling hours for your area and electric rates.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

come on bruce, apples to oranges. that is reflected in he price.

you don't trust you contractor? if you do ask him which is better, and trust him, if you don't find another contractor.

19i is the presidential rolex, 14i is the submariner.

The 5 ton XL19i will provide a max SEER of 17 with the VS AH TWE065E13, it all depends on the air handler used. But then again the XL14i will also have different SEER ratings depending on the AH used.
    The Xl19i in the 2 ton config utilizing the TWE040E13 VS AH will get you 19.5 SEER, the 19XLI in the 3 ton size with the above AH will get you 19SEER.
    I suspect he is quoting you with another AH and furnace.

BTW this goes for all manufacturers. They advertise the highest obtainable SEER, but you have to understand they change via the AH configuration and sizing.

If you want to go to higher SEER and money is not really a major problem, you may want to look into a split system of smaller sizes that will give you max SEER.

I have the XL19i and can tell you the humidity removal is great and allows me to keep the temp at a higher setting, and enjoy the comfort. Low humidity and a higher temp can fool into feeling it's cooler than it really is.

Another main difference between the 19 and the 14 is what type of refrigerant is used. The XL19i uses R-22 and the XL14i uses R410A. I know there are lots of ideas out there about which one to use, but in my opinion it is something to keep in mind.

brucehz

Do you mind stating area of country you live?

The XL19i is a great 2 stg 2 compressor system whether heat pump or straight AC.

With this large of a unit, I suggest you get a price on a XL16i as it will be less expensive with only slightly less efficiency.

The XL14i is Trane's workhorse-either HP or AC condenser. It has solid eff ratings but not as high as the XL19i since it is a single stage compressor unit-very quiet unit.

Unless you live in an area with long, hot, humid AC season ,I doubt a person can justify the XL19i unless you happen to have deep pockets.

IMO

I live near philadelphia. The summers are hot and humid and the winters can be very cold. I figured that the heater runs 5 solid months and the A/C runs 3 solid months.

I have a quote for 2stage furnace 90% and 2stage A/C (Trane XLi19. The second quote (from the same dealer) is for 1stage 80% heat and 1stage Trane A/C XLi14.

The difference in price is $5000.00

If I use the smaller A/C and get the 90% furnace I save about $1500.00

Thank you for your advice.

Originally posted by christinamurray
    Another main difference between the 19 and the 14 is what type of refrigerant is used. The XL19i uses R-22 and the XL14i uses R410A. I know there are lots of ideas out there about which one to use, but in my opinion it is something to keep in mind.
    14i comes in either 22 or 410

brucehz

dOES your electric utilty offer any special rates for heating with a heat pump?

I would look into a dual fuel system-a properly sized XV90 var speed gas furnace paired with either a properly sized XL16i or XL14i heat pump depending upon your budget.

Yes, but I think it is a little sad that with the 19i you don't get that choice. Trane's top unit should at least be avaliable in R-410A

gto boy Guest
    Being in Philly my choice would XL16i,410a and scroll compressor,and a wide out who can go over the middle.E- A- G -L- E -S!!!!!

Same dilema...I have a TWE031 2.5 AH and the outdoor compressor is being replaced - they are downsizing it to 2 tons since 2.5 was oversized but luckily I have the VS AH to accomodate that.

So the basic proposal is for a 2 ton XL14 with the luxury option of a 2.5 ton XL19 2 stage.

Humidity staying above 50% all the time in cooling season has necessitated the change. I understand the XL19 will be very useful in that regard, but when the 2nd stage kicks in at a full 2.5 tons, won't that probably just result in the same oversized issue we have now? The hotter and more the unit runs now, the more humid our house gets.

They want a decision by Monday from me so pros/cons would be appreciated. Money is a factor but only on a close tie.

Thanks.

Talking Installation-Service

Originally posted by brucehz
    We are replacing our old A/C and furnace.

If money is not an issue, is there a reason not to get the more expensive Trane XLi19 vs XLi14 or XLi15?

I was told by a Trane dealer that because our house needs a 5-ton A/C unit, even with the XLi19, the highest SEER we will get is 16.5.

It's all very confusing. I don't want to pay for unnecessary features.

In the meanwhile, we haven't had any A/C for three weeks. The old one is not worth fixing. The weather is hot here.

I would appreciate any response.
    I would pick Trane 16i and 410-a refrigerant, with TWE065E9V5 air handler. With Perfect Fit filter and TCSTAT802 thermostat..

I sold Trane and American Standard for 15 years and it is a durable product,made in Tyler,Texas.
    I am now selling Carrier Infinity systems and they are very nice also..But, the real deal is to find a good contractor that can do a quality design and installation.THAT IS THE MOST Important PART...
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast