Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Condenser Fan Running All The Time

A little 3 ton unit. 460 volt. The condenser fan is running all the time and the contactor is not pulled in, I pick the fan shroud up and fan goes off. The compressor is 3 phase and has a double pole contactor. Reading 17 volts on the motor leads to fan motor that is running. 277 to ground on both fan motor leads. I believe fan motor is going to ground and running on the voltage coming through the 3 phase compressor as the fan motor is single phase. I am replacing the fan motor tommorow. Fan runs just fine also when the compressor contactor pulls in. I thought I should go to selling fries at McDonalds after this one.

Ohm your motor wires to ground to see if it is indeed grounded.

what's your voltage out of fan relay/contactor?

you sure contactor is open on both legs?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Not showing any ground. It did zap me while playing on/off while raising and lowering the lid. No wires touching.

17 volts with contactor not pulled in. 483 pulled in.

Something sounds fishy. The third leg doesn't run through the contactor? Can't say I've seen that before, although, I haven't seen everything there is to see. The fan doesn't show a path to ground? You got shocked lifting the lid off, indicating something is shorted to ground. Is the unit properly grounded? No bare wires shorting to case? Does the compressor show a path to ground on the unswitched lead?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Yes the 3rd leg is hot all the time thus feeding voltage through the winding and to the one leg of the motor on the load side of the contactor. Trane

whats the voltage on the motor? Is your motor grounded properly?

You're backfeeding from somewhere. Had the same issue with a 230v Trane but for the life of me I don't remember what I did.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

what about the cap is it good?

I am glad my coworker was with me to witness this. Funny how the fan motor speed decreases when the contacter pulls in and supplies the normal 460v to the motor. I did not pull the grounds loose at the disconnect to test if the ground was properly landed in the breaker panel.

More then likely one of the windings in the motor has high resistance path to ground, that's why the motor stops when you lift off the cover. What ohm range is the meter your using, 400 ohm typical Fluke clamp on? If so you will not see the short, 460 and 277 will jump much higher resistances.

I had my $450 dollar Fluke laying there taking temperature readings and I was using the U shaped Volt/Amp/Ohm meter for my other reading's. My coworker is changing out the motor today. I will have him save me the motor to check the resistance on Monday and get back at you guy's. Thank's for the input. Haha my brain said WTF it's got to be the motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast