Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scroll or TXV

Did you look at the evap coils? Low charge sometimes causes bottom 1/3 of coil to ice up or run colder and accumulate pre-icing condensation more than the upper 2/3 of the coil.
    What's your SH, SC, and amp draw?
    I'm thinking one if not two problems.
    1 - low charge
    2 - txv powerhead dead, and possible low charge if icing present

Re-read your post and am thinking LOW CHARGE.
    SH, SC, Amp draw, rated load amps and locked rotor amps would be good to see.
    (LRA divided by 6 can give you close to actual normal operating amperage)

What are the people like in New Zealand?
    It's not going to fix itself...

Quote Originally Posted by nuclear rabbit View Post
    What are the people like in New Zealand?
    Liberal/lateral thinkers
    British type sense of humor
    Not to flashy
    Sports mad.
    Adventitious

Cool, Thanks for the Reply...

It's on my list of places to see.

If you are unsure of the charge, why don't you just weigh it out. You said it only holds 6 lbs right? If you have 8 lbs (6 factory charge + the 2 you added), replace power element and liquid line drier. I'll bet you are just low on refrigerant.

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    If you are unsure of the charge, why don't you just weigh it out. You said it only holds 6 lbs right? If you have 8 lbs (6 factory charge + the 2 you added), replace power element and liquid line drier. I'll bet you are just low on refrigerant.
    Ya I think I will add 2 more pounds and see what gives. If nothing then I will be going at the power element first or I mean second after I pull charge. Lennox is telling me I have to sweet in a new valve but it looked like the power element was removable. If it is then I will just switch out the guts.

capillary is snapped and or the power head is shot on charge....the scroll NULLs out if there is no freon coming into the scroll.if the power head is a screw off type your into a quick fix if it is all one TXV..bring a radio up on the roof and your lunch
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

I had a similar one, well, I didn't work on it, a fellow tech called me for support on it...

He wanted to replace the compressor as well. No cool, low suction and low head.

I told him to pull the charge and weigh it. He had almost a double charge in that one AC circuit.

Your pump is OK. TXV or charge. SC would tell the tale, really.

I had similiar problem 2 weeks ago. I ordered a new powerhead and valve. When the parts came in, the Boss sent out another Tech. I don't know how it turned out.
    Local 449?

NEWS FLASH

and now the rest of the store !

Today I went back to the RTU. Went armed with a new OEM txv. I had made up my mind to just pull the charge to see where the numbers would come in at. Hit zero on both sides of gage at 7 pds. 6oz. So now we know it was not that much under charged. Name plate at 6 pds I added 2 last trip. Next I went right to the txv. Pulled sensing bulb, txv and equalizer line out of suction line. Power element was not removable so no quick fix. Also had to work behind the blower I added about 2 inches to the txv outlet so I would not cook the new valve. Only had about a 1 inch stub and it had to be welded to a solid brass distributor. I got that in with some nitro flowing. Pressure tested to 150 psig and so far so good. Moved over to the compressor section and replaced filter. Pressure tested once more pulled vac and put back 6 pd charge. Ambient was about 80* and gage read 250 hi side 75 low side.

Thanks everyone for your
    Oh and that old txv I could not blow thru and the filter not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    and now the rest of the store !

Today I went back to the RTU. Went armed with a new OEM txv. I had made up my mind to just pull the charge to see where the numbers would come in at. Hit zero on both sides of gage at 7 pds. 6oz. So now we know it was not that much under charged. Name plate at 6 pds I added 2 last trip. Next I went right to the txv. Pulled sensing bulb, txv and equalizer line out of suction line. Power element was not removable so no quick fix. Also had to work behind the blower I added about 2 inches to the txv outlet so I would not cook the new valve. Only had about a 1 inch stub and it had to be welded to a solid brass distributor. I got that in with some nitro flowing. Pressure tested to 150 psig and so far so good. Moved over to the compressor section and replaced filter. Pressure tested once more pulled vac and put back 6 pd charge. Ambient was about 80* and gage read 250 hi side 75 low side.

Thanks everyone for your
    Oh and that old txv I could not blow thru and the filter not much better.
    thanks for the update.
    Local 449?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12