+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some random installs

Post Likes

Some random installs

Just got alot of pics on the computer from my phone so thought id share! opinions appreciated

Post Likes
    Your sheet metal work is beautiful. I would have done something about that head-banger gas line in pic 4 though.

Post Likes
    I understand. Not trying to make excuses but i didnt have any 1'' stuff on the truck and we moved the furnace 4'. The job was an hour away and i overlooked it the second day there. The homeowner was very happy so i left it. Thanks for the compliment though! Were also not equipped with oddball gas fittings and such due to the fact that we are primarily change out. We have four crews and we crank out 2 full systems a day with each crew!

Post Likes
    Nice work, looks great

Post Likes
    Installs look nice! I don't like the condensate drain on the last pic though. If the 3/4 PVC plugs at the bottom during AC season you will fill the HX on the furnace full of water.

Great sheetmetal work.

Post Likes
    I didnt think it would be an issue with just a few feet of pvc. Did a few like that and learned the hard way so now i tie the a/c in below the trap

Post Likes
    with your boiler;
    - pumping into expansion tank...not good.
    - pump is on return side...should be on supply and pumping away from expansion tank
    - exhaust pipe slopes down hill then back up
    - get rid of the bell draft diverter and install a tee with a 6" barometric damper and a spill switch. also perform a combustion analysis.

Post Likes
    As far as the pump/tank, supply /return thing, i should call the boiler manufacturer and tell them their install instructions are wrong. Been doing this 14 years and the majority of companies specify it be done that way. The bell diverter comes with the boiler as does a safety switch. Kinda got me on the flue thing but had no choice and it vents fine. Also, I did that boiler and a furnace/coil that day so it came out pretty good considering

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orangesummer View Post
    As far as the pump/tank, supply /return thing, i should call the boiler manufacturer and tell them their install instructions are wrong. Been doing this 14 years and the majority of companies specify it be done that way. The bell diverter comes with the boiler as does a safety switch. Kinda got me on the flue thing but had no choice and it vents fine. Also, I did that boiler and a furnace/coil that day so it came out pretty good considering

Great looking installs! Doing a boiler and a furnace/coil is a ton of work for one

day... there is no way I could pull that off! I have put quite a few boilers in just

like that pumping the return at the exp tank just like that. Some worked fine and

some not so much. I did it that way because everyone said thats how you do it.

Anyway, check out Dan's book Pumping Away. Once I tried out piping a boiler

like Gravity said I couldn't believe the difference.

Post Likes
    I tend to do what the manufacturer reccommends due to some bullcrap warranty issues in the past.(this part was installed not the way WE recommend so no warranty for you and this customer)BUT Lennox boilers (dunkirk) do it the opposite?? Ive had alot less troubles going this route. And yes it was a rough day! Ill definitely check that out though. Thanks!

Post Likes
    i have never had a manufacturer deny me warranty because of the way something was installed. also you say the boiler vents fine? did you verify this with a combustion analyzer?

Post Likes
    Ya i think the vent is a little odd and shouldnt be like that. Is the chimney already b vented? thats why a new one wasnt put in?
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

Post Likes
    Ya i think the vent is a little odd and shouldnt be like that. 2 recent new appliances connected into a chimney, ummm i would have insisted on putting in a new liner.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done

Post Likes
    on picture #5 i do not see a drip leg. the jobs do look nice and clean

Post Likes
    It is b-vented in an old fireplace chimney. Previous company had busted out block to bring in basement. No i personally did not verify venting with an analyzer, pm techs do that on the tune ups. Its been sitting there for two years now and from what i understand its fine. Wouldve had to change if not.Sometimes our techs find issues like that and we always repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    on picture #5 i do not see a drip leg. the jobs do look nice and clean
    Thanks for the compliment and youre right on the dripleg! Not sure what else to say. Stuff like that doesnt often happen

Post Likes
    Looks like some nice clean work...wish we had some more guys like you at our shop....
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

Midnight Sun Astrophotography

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=gravity;13111991]with your boiler;
    - pumping into expansion tank...not good.
    - pump is on return side...should be on supply and pumping away from expansion tank

thats from pumping away - Dan holohan thats cool people actually read his stuff. (-: The pump is always installed after the expansion tank because of the 0 pressure change. highly recommend the book.
    he even says in his book that a lot of boiler manufactures say to put it in the return, which is incorrect.
    Get er Done!

Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done

Post Likes
    Where do i find the book? Literally been installing 14 years and have had FEW issues. If I can do something better im definitely interested

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnel_rat View Post
    Looks like some nice clean work...wish we had some more guys like you at our shop....
    Thank you sir

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in