Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I came outta trade school in 1998 @ the age of 29. Took me 9 months of book learning & years of on the job training. I'm a pretty smart guy so when I got thrown to the wolves by my 1st company I thrived.

My Grandfather started this business in the late 70's. So I was a helper on school breaks and some weekends since I can remember. Decided early in life heating and air conditioning was NOT for me. But all I really knew of it was wrapping duct, pulling and hanging flex and "go get this". After HS I went to school for a few years in architecture, took a civil engineering job which went great untill 2009. while looking for work I did heat load calcs for dad and grandpa. Started riding around and being a full time helper. Discovered that I actually enjoy the trade, (still dont like wrapping duct or hanging flex, but havnt had to do it in a while) Been running a van and the office for a couple years now. Almost have enough hours on the books to take the licensing exam. I am 27.

age 35

Started trade school at 19 got a job in service at 21 now 22 in the second summer of service and things are going good, last summer was pretty stressfully though

Hated my job. Wife said "you're miserable and you're going back to school."

Graduated from Perry Tech at 30. 5 years and several raises later I'm still with the same company and still enjoying what I do.

Playing with fire and loud whirly things all day, and getting paid for it!

15 started as a helper for a one man band. Went in the Air Force at 20 and at 24 retrained into HVAC and never looked back. Somehow I've ended up in Afghanistan not working HVAC, but that is a different story. Now I am at the superintendent level.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

23, found this job opening on craigslist and ended up being this staffing agency looking for a temp. They couldn't tell me much about the job, until I met the owner and found out that it was mechanical engineering. Still working for them after I graduated.
    You can call me Sam

It should be a crime to be a mechanical engineer in San Diego
    Summer Design Temperature: 83 F Dry Bulb ~ 69 F Wet Bulb (California Climate Zone 7)

Got out of High School and decided NOT to go to college. Pissed my family off who are very big on higher education.

Partied, got in to trouble and then wen't to A and P school. Got my ticket to work on aircraft. Did it for a couple of years, the pay and benefits were horrible.

A large manufacturer was hiring test technicians for their aircraft ground support equipment.

I took their test and qualified for their generator and air conditioner test cells. Tested and troubleshooted their 250 ton portable AC units that were powered by a 560 KW generator.

Did that for about 6 years. They decided to move that division to Kenasaw Georgia and I didn't follow them. Went to work for a service company that worked exclusively on large process chillers.

Been doing commercial HVAC ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by powell View Post
    18th birthday, I'm about to hit 56.
    your starting to get old.
    will be i nto pick your brain fri. if your in the office.

Entered trade school at 35. So far so good. Going full time so I can finish asap and then hopefully find a job.

Cut my teeth in the Coast Guard at the age of 23, been in the industry ever since. It has enriched my mind, taxed my body, and best of all, provided a good standard of living for my family. I am grateful for that and blessed to have a job where boredom doesn't exist.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

Started at 17 years old. Now 30 and love it still..... Most days...

Started at 23 still love everyday of it

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast