Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I started out when I was 18. I did installs for about 6 years and moved into service, I'm 31 now.

Was fifteen, worked for my Step-uncle cleaning condensors on strip shopping centers. It was South Fla and the first week I thought I was going to die. The coil cleaner was the pink acid, I mixed it in a stainless steel container, that may have been a converted fire extinguisher, pressured it with R12. 23 years later my step-dad died, my step-sisters asked what I did. When I told them they snickered, the whole idea on the summer job was to bust my chops so I'd do better in school. Somedays I wished he had a brother in the garbage hauling or hot roof tar roofing business. BTW I wasn't able to get constant year around work till I was 26.

HVAC trade school at 16 (two year course) and the real world at 19, 48 now

Late starter, 40yrs old.
    Very hard to get into the industry at a living wage but I finally did it.

Worked with dad on drink, food, vending machines since I was 5 or 6 in the shop. Got into small refrig stuff about 16-17 just watching and then a school from a food machine mfg. 4 years in the USCG and went to Hvac training. 33 now and facilities/maint. Dir for a k-12 private school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

28, totally by mistake. Licensed Journeyman in another trade for 6 years. Been doing Controls/HVAC service for the last 17 years. I'm now (oh I hate to say this) a very young Fifty Five. Boy how time flies when you're having fun !

Every day's a learning experience, every day holds an education !

BTW Osiyo, that quote is from was from "Time Enough for Love" Lazarus Long. Could be words to live by !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

I was 16 years old.

Went on emergency service calls with my dad since as long as I can remember. Worked summers and after school since I was 14 went to night school at a tech college and worked full time doing installs and service riding with another tech. Graduated tech school got my own truck. I am now 25 and am lead installer and lead service tech, small 5 man operation. 2 of the other guys have 20+ years experience and don't like to listen to me so that's a battle everyday. All in all I LOVE my job and wouldn't trade it for anything.

41, after many years working other construction trades. My elbows can't take the hammering anymore.

I was 8 years old. Started working for my father's company riding with him in the summers. Been in the industry ever since... 28 years.

Started summers at age 15, went to the trade school class in highschool, then full time at age 17 after graduation and going to a trade school to complete. Are those mechanical Code classes worth going to for your journeymans? Pretty sure i will qualify in the next year

First post. jemair2

Started at 39 for sears gave them 15 yrs and own my own business for last 2 yrs

Went to community college and started at 21 in the field. Thought this would be great getting to work where it is warm in the winter and cool in the summer Boy was I wrong.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast