Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cleaning ice machine(s)

Tomorrow I'll be on ice machine cleaning duty. I've read a lot on here about how dirty they can be and how a lot of refrig. mechanics won't get ice in their drinks, etc. unless it's from a unit they service. I want to do it up right.

What I usually do is (and this is generic, we have 3 different machines): Empty the bin and drain it. Then, follow manufacturer's directions for cleaning with nickel safe ice machine cleaner. This usually entails turning the unit off, adding the ice machine cleaner, then switching the unit to "clean" and allow the cleaner to circulate for 15-20 minutes. Then, I purge the system of the chemical and flush with water for 4 or 5 minutes. If I still see any hard water residue, I repeat the same process. After that's finished, wipe out the bin with a bleach/water solution.

Is there anything else I could/should do?

Depends on what brand of machine you have. Hoshi's need the evap brushed out.
    I take apart the machine and clean each part individually then put it back together before i run chemical through.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceneck View Post
    Tomorrow I'll be on ice machine cleaning duty. I've read a lot on here about how dirty they can be and how a lot of refrig. mechanics won't get ice in their drinks, etc. unless it's from a unit they service. I want to do it up right.

What I usually do is (and this is generic, we have 3 different machines): Empty the bin and drain it. Then, follow manufacturer's directions for cleaning with nickel safe ice machine cleaner. This usually entails turning the unit off, adding the ice machine cleaner, then switching the unit to "clean" and allow the cleaner to circulate for 15-20 minutes. Then, I purge the system of the chemical and flush with water for 4 or 5 minutes. If I still see any hard water residue, I repeat the same process. After that's finished, wipe out the bin with a bleach/water solution.

Is there anything else I could/should do?
    What brand of Ice Machine are they. Manitowoc, I take the transport tube off and clean the inside with a soft brush, also clean the inside of the evap cover. then clean the ice thickness probe with a new toothbrush, use the same toothbrush to clean the sides of the evap and the Reservoir. replace the water filter and mark new one with the date.
    I used a little PFM to fix it.

Here's a pretty good video which demonstrates how to thoroughly clean an ice machine, showing typical machines by Hoshizaki and Manitowoc:

The black usually falls off of parts that the ice machine cleaner doesnt even reach. Youll have to take stuff apart and clean it manually

Definitely matters what brands. I always remove all the parts that come in contact with water soak them in a bucket of cleaning solution. Then put it back together and follow manufactures instructions on cleaning. This process will also help you become very familiar with the parts of the machine and there placement and role in the ice making process.

Sent from my amazing 4G device

Thanks for all the advice everybody and Icemeister, thanks for that vid. It was actually pretty informative.

Damn, I knew there was going to be more too this than meets the eye. I was happy just doing what I was doing, but I had a sneaking suspicscion that there was gunk in other parts of the machine.

Time to start with a little Ice-o-matic undercounter...then on to the big Hoshi.

Ice-O-Matic has a general video on cleaning. Click on Technical Videos and select your cuber model:

http://www.iceomatic.com/Service-and...nical-Videos/#

Make sure you to clean the little filter pans on the left and right and behind.
    clean out the coil. shine a light through the coil. if you dont see as much light as your shining. then that means not enough air is getting through to cool down the system. get a wet brush and brush it off. Wet it so you dont have to breathe in as much of the dust.

Thanks again for all the help...I should post pics of our ice machines now. If only I could get the camera inside the transport tube(s)...

good info, You guys got any suggestions for really bad hard water build up on Hoshi's, The last one i did was the worst I've ever seen. I had a new hard brisstle toilet brush scrubbing, after runnig the hoshi cleaner for stainless evaps, it didn't phase it. Is there a particular brush you guys use?

Quote Originally Posted by btack View Post
    Definitely matters what brands. I always remove all the parts that come in contact with water soak them in a bucket of cleaning solution. Then put it back together and follow manufactures instructions on cleaning. This process will also help you become very familiar with the parts of the machine and there placement and role in the ice making process.

Sent from my amazing 4G device

This is the same way I do it and while the machine is running through the cleaning cycles, I clean the condenser and if possible I clean out the bin drain, wipe down the machine, move any boxes or other stuff stored too close. If I have any downtime while the machine is cleaning or rinsing, I will sometimes look at the customers other equipment to see if I can spot anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ac_tom77 View Post
    good info, You guys got any suggestions for really bad hard water build up on Hoshi's, The last one i did was the worst I've ever seen. I had a new hard brisstle toilet brush scrubbing, after runnig the hoshi cleaner for stainless evaps, it didn't phase it. Is there a particular brush you guys use?
    Hoshi has a special brush you can buy thru your distributor
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast